Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Example of bad autocross form ( pic.)

DSCN6974.intermediate.jpg

It doesn't FEEL like it's leaning that much!

Car has discs and an XT swaybar, 15" pugs with old BFG's, engine mods.

Picture is a bit deceptive. This is the turn around after a longish straight. About 40mph, Trail braking to try to get the car set for corner exit.

Bad weight transfer.

Not smooth. BAD, BAD Subaru driver!

This is the only picture of this car autocrossing that is posted right now on the web. I do have better examples of how I'm supposed to do it. Even a couple short movies.

Just thought I'd share.

Jay

C'mon with the comments, I can take it!

So good I just stole it from ya! That's a cool hatch. Just out of curiosity, what kind of shape are the struts in? You could try some spring boosters from Pepboys to see if it'll stiffen them up for autoX days. Check them often though, those things arent known for staying in place very well.

Hey where is bent mountain? I was just in Williamsburg for a week.

Low profile 13" tires do not fill up the fenderwell and look very odd in my opinion.

If I was still autocrossing this GL, I would lower it two inches, and put 205/50 15's on the Pugs. Victoracers more than likely.

More toe out in the rear might help too. ROTATE NOW! twitchy on the street though.

Bought the RX for this kind of stuff. GL might get a fresh engine, That's about it. It has been relegated to a back-up, nothing else will start, wait until it snows, make a dead spot in the yard car.

Edit for Allturken . When you drove past Roanoke on I81, if you looked into the distance it flanks the valley on the opposite side of I81.

Wanted to get the GR2's for it but they are not adjustable for height. i need that for the snowtires. So, to answer your question.

Old, stock, worn out. That might account for the attitude of the car in the pic, EH?

Jay

If I'd have known you were that close I may have stopped in!

Let's see some pics of the RX, too!

BTW I gotta go with Caleb on the recommendation for the stock wheels on that hatch if you decide to autocross it anymore. The bigger ones do look better of course, but those little 13's will perform a ton better for that kind of driving.

were you doin' laps in 2wd or 4wd?

I assume 2wd because of pavement.............

anyone ever tried an E-brake turn? I realize that they're up front but curious as to what will happen if ya give it a pull in a tight corner...

:brolleye:

Shanonsf

82 GLW (gettin' ready for Rally X)

Actually if front wheel drive is being used, lifting the rear inside tire is awesome and to an extent good also in 4WD. When this happens, there is less grip in the rear of the car, making it want to lose traction before the front! And we all know the deffinition of oversteer is having the rear end loose traction before the front! BTW do you have any more pics of your car autoxing? Im gonna do it in my turbo wagon when Im finished with it. You say that you have the XT6 rear bar? How did you mount it? pics of that? Also do the front bars off of EA82s fit on the front of EA81s?

I 'acquired' a crazy scientist's (formerly wrx1ab) project in which he put a EA81t, 5spd d/r w locking dif, custom drive & axle shafts, 3.7 LSD, rear sway bars, full disc brakes, KYBs all around in to 81 DL.........it was crazy when it ran.

car was a peice except for 'gathered' parts collection in which all are a straight bolt into my 82 GLW....once the EA81T & is trouble shooted (pulling water into pistons, we think its the intake manifold)

My freshly painted 82 GLW has been embroiled is crazy emissions war in which has sucked all my time and resources to keep legal in order to do 'the manipulation'....everything is sitting on the shelf 'waiting'..

When manipulation takes place...it will be documented for all to review

BTW- He took the trailing arms and the rear sway bar from the doner car (XT6? i think)

just have to get my tags first...........

shanonsf