Ultimate Subaru Message Board

opinions on an EJ 18 swap vs. EJ22

s'ko

I think I have scored a EJ18 engine for under 100 bucks.

Provided that the harness and the ECU are there, I could prove to be a viable swap to do. I am guessing the low HP should allow for me to use my existing EA81 d/r 4spd.

What are your opinion on whether it is worth it to do a EJ18 swap and get 110 hp or should I hold out for a EJ22 and get 140?

BW

140 > 110. I think the answer is quite clear. :headbang:

I'm in the planning stages of a 2.2 swap right now. Just decided on it today as a matter of fact. :D Found my donor.. just gotta read up on everything about how it goes together before I buy anything.

I was considering an EJ swap a while back, and I would beg to differ with the opinions that have been presented so far. Obviously, the EJ22 produces more power. We know that. However, I talked to Austin and he told me that the EJ18 powered Impreza he used to have was comparable in performance to any of the EJ22 cars that he had experienced. Also, remember what vehicle the engine is going in to. Your brat makes 83 horsepower right now. 110 is a substantial increase. The extra 30 horsepower from the EJ22 is more likely to break stuff than make you go faster, especially when you consider the fact that your tranny is more than 20 years old, and it as well as the axles/joints were designed to hold up with an 83hp engine.

It really does come down to what you want to do with the vehicle. Either engine will more than fulfill your likely needs, and will be a huge improvement over the EA81. Unless you can find an EJ22 for a similar price, I would go with the EJ18 simply because of the cost factor.

not to mention the fact that the EJ18 redlines at 7250 instead of 6000. but making less horsepower might make for a really good increase in mpg, compared to the stock motor......more power= less gas to move car......1.8 liters vs. well....1.8 liters.

~Josh~

i like the EJ18s....

if i did a swap into another EA car... i wouldnt hesitate to do an EJ18... especially if you have one available cheap...

but one tip... do all resealing and work on the engine before installing... makes things much easier..

Is that mean you would choose ej18 swap over ej22??

Remember, Most if Not all EJ-18 motors were put into Automatic cars.....these Motors tach higher which if fine in an Auto with torque Converter, But they have less actual crank Torque than an EJ-22.....In a Brat I'd Say go for it.....You should be happy with it , and as was already stated, the price is Great.....

I know A guy who can supply you with an adapter Kit...:lol:

Later, John

How are parts availability for them? That's pretty much all I would be concerned about. Basicly thats why I don't want to do an ER27 swap. Great engine untill something breaks. About one ever 3 years comes through the local junkyards and the local stealerships can't get parts for them. When you do find new parts for them... $$$. EJ18 was kinda funky engine; might wanna call up your fav. parts stores and see if typical parts are available for it.

The EJ18 seems like a fine little motor. We have one in our '93 Impreza L 5sp AWD. Get's great gas mileage as well. It was available in most base model Imp's in '93 and '94. Most were in front of fwd trans and some auto's. Either way the power gains would be better.

Oh yeah, I know a guy that does the adapter plates too!!

I am going to have to agree with Austin, i think i would like the EJ18 in my EA car instead of the extra 30 horsepower, i think that the 5 speed D/R would handle 110 ponies better than 140 ponies, not to mention they would probably get them same gas mileage, the only benefit besides shear muscle would be the EJ22's ability to deal with a 3 or 4 inch lift with bigger tires better. But when you get used to a car with 80 or 85 horse power, 110 sounds like a godsend.

~Josh~

Are the mountings similar to the EA engines? I would do the conversion, and I could get either engine cheap; the cost of the kit is what would kill me. Is it at all possible to trade parts around between different Soobs to get the engine and tranny to mate without any special machining or kits?? What is the difference in the drivetrain? I only have 145k on mine, but I would like the EJ reliability and power.

I THINK (just hearing what others have said) that the engine bolts right up to the subframe. No, it isn't possible to do the conversion without the kit and keep your old-gen tranny. The spacing on the flywheel bolts is different, and you have to use an old-gen flywheel to mate up to the old-gen tranny. However, it has been done using a new-gen drivetrain. Two little issues though, a custom tranny crossmember must be made, and you can't get a D/R new gen tranny in the US.

you can always make your own adapter plate like i did. and drill out your old-gen flywheel, that way you dont have to shorten/lengthen your driveline. yes the kit is expensive but it comes with everything that you need, and the kit is tried and true. to make your own kit will cost less but you will have to get your grubbies on a decently stocked shop with all the right tools.

~Josh~

How hard is it to get a foreign D/R tranny? I looked at the Impreza wagon on subaru's global website and it comes with a D/R tranny with very similar ratios to mine. If I could somehow keep the D/R, I would happily go new gen tranny, even if I had to change the tranny mount and my speedo was a little off. (Or do the XT6 conversion and use the right size wheels)