Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Class Action Lawsuit Re: Blown Head Gaskets/ Cracked Heads/ Overheating

I AM NEW TO THE BOARD, BUT HAVE HAD A PROBLEM THAT MANY HERE HAVE BEEN THROUGH. MY WIFES CAR (98 SUB OUTBACK 2.5) STARTED MYSTERIOSLY OVERHEATING, AND AFTER $600 REPLACING THE WATER PUMP AND THERMOSTAT WE ARE NOW BEING TOLD IT IS THE HEAD GASKET/ CRACKED HEAD.

WE ARE BEING TOLD THAT WE MUST PAY FOR THIS. I BELIEVE THAT 96-99 AND OTHER SUBARUS HAVE NEGLIGENT DEFECTS (I.E. PISTON SLAP) THAT LEADS TO CRACKED HEADS AND BLOWN HEAD GASKETS. SUBARUS DENIAL OF THIS PROBLEM IS OUTRAGEOUS, AND NOW IT IS TIME TO PAY.

I HAVE CONTACTED A LAWYER AND AM PUTTING TOGETHER A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FOR DAMAGES FOR ALL OF THOSE THAT HAVE BEEN AFFECTED BY SUBARUS NEGLIGENCE. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN JOINING THIS EFFORT TO BRING SUBARU OWNERS JUSTICE, PLEASE EMAIL CONTACT INFO TO RIEXECUTIVE@HOTMAIL.COM.

SINCERELY,

RICHARD HILL

That's an interesting first introduction, Richard! Welcome to the USMB.

You'll probably get a better response from folks on internet message boards if you opt to not type in all caps. That's considered SHOUTING and bad manners.

I'm sure you'll get a response to your post, though :) You might also try http://www.nasioc.com in the Legacy forum and http://www.edmunds.com if you haven't been there already. Good luck, keep us posted on what happens.

Steve

Mine is a 95 with the 2.2, so this is not an issue for me. Best of luck with the action, though. I'm curious to find out how many owners end up jumping aboard. Where all you going to "advertise" it?

I'm curious--why has this issue never been discussed by used car buyers guides and other publications? Consumer Reports rates these models highly--with strong reliability marks--and part of their evaluation comes from owner feedback. Has there ever been a common denomonator discovered for the cars that have had this issue, as there are plenty that have not?

I believe there may be a previous case that wound its way through the courts. Do a search on this site. Anyway the case was dismissed but I can't recall the whys or hows. Not merit, just procedural and how the suit was organized.

I know of at least one who has been bit by the HG bug and I will put him in touch. I'm sure that you are going against some pretty big guns and the opposition will be formidable.

I hope you have a good lawyer who won't waste your time and money. Unless he is doing this pro bono, you might do well to fix the car cheaper than the lawsuit. If it's a good fight you're after, then I say do the pit bull thing and bite and don't let go.

Wow--if there are that many people already unified, forget waiting around for a lawsuit to meander through the court system. Build a flashy web site that warns people of the bad problem and that Subaru refuses to take care of loyal customers. Then pick a Saturday and have all those people drive around and park at their local Subaru dealerships with a "Subaru Cheated Me--Read The Website" banner or sign hanging on the side of their cars. Pass out flyers on the lot if you want. Drive to a faraway city to do it if you're too embarrassed to do it at home.

Be sure everyone who does it has someone take pictures of the signs at the dealership--even better if you can get shots with browsing car customers around. Have a hit counter on the web site. Have someone compile a list of all the Subaru dealerships across the country the people "visit", add as many pics as you can, and share the URL of the web site: arrange in a nice package, along with a list of all of your cases and contact info, a good record of how big the problem is, and mail it to one of the big dogs at SOA. Ask them if they could please offer a fair settlement to each of you and to contact everyone on your list within 30 days. Be sure to tell them that if they don't respond with a reasonable offer that you will repeat the Subaru dealership "blitz" again. Be sure to mention that "By the way, we have some nice pictures of our 'Bad Subaru' assult of signs and a brief article about our mission for justice that we plan to send to every automotive magazine if you don't respond promptly."

The pen can sometimes be mightier than the lawyer--and usually a lot cheaper too. Subaru will more than likely refuse to offer anything to remedy this problem unless they believe it could hurt them financially by ruining their public image and threaten their perceived reputation of dependability. Realistically, bombarding the dealerships would not really do much, but if it were all done on the same day and at enough lots, it would sure make an interesting tidbit for Car And Driver or Motor Trend or such to cover in an issue. The media usually hypes something like that as being bigger than it really was, so that would possibly mar Subaru's image with the general public. Bad press is bad for business.

I BELIEVE THAT 96-99 AND OTHER SUBARUS HAVE NEGLIGENT DEFECTS (I.E. PISTON SLAP) THAT LEADS TO CRACKED HEADS AND BLOWN HEAD GASKETS.

Welcome, Richard.

Good luck with the lawsuit. Yes, the 1st generation 2.5's were junk. Subaru isn't really owning up to the problem past the original powertrain warranty. To me (and probably you) a '98 vehicle is practically brand new. To Subaru, a '98 vehicle is ancient history.

Car companies are experts at jerking people around with high dollar attorneys 'till they get tired (or broke) and go away. Since this is a reliability issue and not really a safety issue, there is slim to no chance that the government will step in.

Also, piston slap doesn't really cause the head gaskets to blow. The gaskets blow because the crankcase is under-engineered causing the head gasket surfaces to "slip and slide" around on a microscopic level little by little with each temperature cycle until the gasket gets weakened and worn away causing a leak.

The head gasket issue is complex. Too little sealing surface. Not enough cylinder block rigidity. Too little gasket clamping force. All in all, the "Phase 1" is just a cheesy design. You can only shave and scrimp so much material from an engine block. Subaru hit the lower limits of engineering with the phase 1.

Gimme the old pushrod ea81.

A personal friend and owner of an auto repair business is as we speak replacing the head gaskets on his 96 OBW (100K). He was told by a dealer that the new gaskets have solved the issue with this generation of engines. Anyone know or have any experience with the longevity of new gaskets.

I think if enough people speak up then Subaru will have no choice but to bone up tp their mistake. They should have issued a recall. I don't think there is a single person on this board who hasn't looked at someone posting about their 2.5 HG and thought...AGAIN!

I hope you get what you are after. Try to hold off a few weeks so I can find me a 2.5 with a blown HG. I want in too.

We understand you are PO'd but the caps made me cry. I felt like you were yelling at me. MOMMY!!:lol:

Just put up a thread that may be related to the same issue.Mine is a 98 forester and my mechanic has fulshed out the coolant and replaced the thermostat. the car still runs hot, however he did mention it could be a head gasket problem. Thanks for putting up ur info.