Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anybody make their own tow bar for Brats,or Loyale wagons?

I'd like any info from those who have.I can have the guys at work throw one together.We have all sorts of stock.And there's plenty of steel,etc. available nearby.

Looking to make something to work with my Brat firstly.But,I'd also like something that works with a Loyale style car.

Anyone price one new recently?How much are they?

i used a wal-mart tow bar. it was collapsable and had 2 pins thru the hitch.

we heated up the bars and bent them so they were the same width as the tow hooks. this was on an ea82.

the pins and brackets that were supposed to be bolted to the bumber now fit thru the tow hooks.

the htch end has been lengthened to replace the length from bending the bars.

Here is the one on my wagon.

Front:

Lift_Install_Front_2.jpg

Under front:

UndercarFlex.sized.jpg

You can see in the second pic, the bars (far outsides of the picture) are welded to a tab/plate that comes down form the sub frame. There is then a plate and large bolt taht bolt through the front tow point, the whole thing was then welded apparently.

The front bar was setup to accept a collapsable tow bar. This system has worked for just about 20,000 miles. Its previous owner (my grandpa) used it as a tow vehicle for his motorhome adventures.

It saved my front end from serious damage on a some overzealous driving on some forest service roads by the ocean, thus the crooked bar. Pretty sure most of the weight of the car landed on it. Also has been a neat place to mount lights.

Thanks everybody.

Mostly I'm looking to make one for the rear of my Brat and "Loyale" wagon to be able to retrieve other old Subarus with.So what I want should be able to hook up to another Subie,like Miles did,nice and snug.Of course the older the cars get up here the more you need to worry about the tow hook ripping off of the unibody.I don't think I'll be doing too many more 80's cars after this spring.But when a sweet one pops up I'll need to be ready.

Soon,it'll be Imprezas and Legacys.I can't even think of what my wife's Legacy wagon looks like underneath I've work on it so little.(knock on wood).Are the Imps and Legs also tow hook equiped.(now you know I'm dyed in the wool old school)LOL!

Dave,yes please bring it up,thanks.Looking like Pat isn't going to be here untill late Saturday,maybe Sunday now.