Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another source of EJ series Dual Range trannys

Hocrest

I was chatting with a XT owner from Uraguay today. We were talking about Soobs (of course) and he was mentioning all of the types of Soobs they have there and it was alot of the tiny ones like they have in Japan. I asked about the elusive dual range transmissions, and if they came in the Legacys down there and he said "YES".

So does anybody know of any cheap shipping options from South America??

He is a mechanic, and used to work in a Subaru garage. He knows they are available in Chile and Uraguay, thinks they are available across the continent.

This should be an FAQ.

The EJ D/R trans low range ratio is 1.196:1 , call it 1.2:1 or about 20% reduction... the same as the RX trans.

For comparison, the EA82 5 speed D/R (non-RX) has a 1.52:1 ratio.

Typical Jeeps, Toyotas, etc have ~2.5:1, and the Jeep Rubicon has 4:1

While I'm confident the EJ D/R would bolt in, it may be physically different in length (requiring different driveshaft length? - dunno)

For US market, it will be an expensive 20%.

This should be an FAQ.

The EJ D/R trans low range ratio is 1.196:1 , call it 1.2:1 or about 20% reduction... the same as the RX trans.

For comparison, the EA82 5 speed D/R (non-RX) has a 1.52:1 ratio.

Typical Jeeps, Toyotas, etc have ~2.5:1, and the Jeep Rubicon has 4:1

While I'm confident the EJ D/R would bolt in, it may be physically different in length (requiring different driveshaft length? - dunno)

For US market, it will be an expensive 20%.

I guess the biggest question in money would be then is it cheaper or more expensive then doing a divorced tcase upgrade? There's a lot of cost associated with going that route to get a real low range gear ratio. Prolly not one that can be answerd right now as A) Nobody here has imported a Dual Range from an EJ series and B) Nobody here has done a divorced tcase mod on an EJ series (yet..... mudrat? :brow: )

Seems to me changing the driveline length is a simple enough fix for a D/R.

I paid $70 to get mine done...

The question is can you get a good one from S.A. because the return policy is tough! :rolleyes:

And then there is that issue of Customs and of course COST!

If it worked out it would be sweet though?

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer---D/R

01 Forester---D/R less

:slobber:

the only benefit i can see is the fact that the ej tranny could hold more power than a ea82 D/R, but with a higher low range i odnt think that the benefit owuld outweigh the price of say cryo'ing an ea82 D/R tranny.

~Josh~

But with adapting ea82 d/r tranny onto Ej's requires some sort of adapting plate. If you don't have proper tools/machines and fab skills to build your own, it would cost you some doughs to get one from someone who sells them.

Dan

It can and has been done. Austin's 80 wagon sports an adapter made by Mudrat.
I do know it has been done with Austin's wagon. I was just wondering which would be worth more on down the road in future. I believe the cost of the plates made by Mudrat exceeds $500 and of course cost of the ea82 D/R tranny going into EJ series vs EJ series with its factory tranny...(Cost of the tranny: $400, cost of the shipping from overseas: ....dont know how much but expecting to be high, cost of off-roading my outback with D/R tranny: priceless.)

Dan

I do know it has been done with Austin's wagon. I was just wondering which would be worth more on down the road in future. I believe the cost of the plates made by Mudrat exceeds $500 and of course cost of the ea82 D/R tranny going into EJ series vs EJ series with its factory tranny...(Cost of the tranny: $400, cost of the shipping from overseas: ....dont know how much but expecting to be high, cost of off-roading my outback with D/R tranny: priceless.)

Dan

It's way more than just an adapter plate for $500. Well worth the money in hardware and labor.

This Kit will consist of the adapter Plate, Mounting hardware, and XT-6 Flywheel Ready to bolt Directly to the 2.2/2.5 crank.

The last 2 trannies I shipped from MN to west coast (read: domestic, not international) was a little under a dollar per pound. This was through a freight forwarding company. The cost of obtaining the trannies was less than $100 from a junkyard. Adding to the cost however was my labor for pulling it, getting it home, getting it palleted up and shipped out.... if one did this part themselves they would save many pennies.

If someone were to get solid numbers on a cost of an EJ series Dual Range tranny, cost of labor for pulling/packing, and shipping from that location to their destination; then we could do some real cost comparisons. My hunch is it would still be cheaper to go to a 5spd dual range from an EA82.

There might be some "ecomomies of scale" or in other words if a whole bunch of people wanted to go in on a batch of them...It may be cheaper to send a bunch of them than sending them one at a time...?

Just a thought...

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

There might be some "ecomomies of scale" or in other words if a whole bunch of people wanted to go in on a batch of them...It may be cheaper to send a bunch of them than sending them one at a time...?

Just a thought...

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

The people who say they actually want one should start calling around and finding out. Untill then its a pipe dream :drunk:

You dont need alot of fab skills, i made my own adapter plate and all that stuff to mate my EJ22 to my 86's D/R tranny, I know it sounds like it hard, but if you want something enough you'll get it. I had access to my dads shop, which had some decent tools, but mostly i had to think of ways to make do. And mudrat's "package" comes with returned and redrilled EA82 flywheel, turned to XT6 spec, hardware is included, that means flywheel bolts and such, and comes with the adapter plate of course, keep in mind you can drill out your EA82 flywheel, but there will be "slop" in its movement, i used some steel alloy dowel pins (3/16 diameter) got them at a fasteners store, they have like 5-7 hundreds pounds of shear strength, i used 3. this is begining to sound like a USRM "how- to" manual. dont worry i will post one, with guidance from mudrat and austin with accuracy and such. Keep in mind that aluminum is expensive, and you HAVE to have it cut with a plasma cutter, or a darn jigsaw but screw that man i didnt have all day to spend behind a darn jigsaw, you can make yours out of steel but i opted not to, cost me like $140 to make 2 adapter plates, and no i will not sell you my spare unless I get Mudrat's approval, I WILL NOT undercut anyone's livelyhood, so make your own or call him, hate to be wongleflute, but thats how "we" do. :) Again, the wiring is going to be the biggest obstacle, i had no problems......ya i had a few what am i talking aobut..........but that comes expected with a radical conversion like these. mechanically it isnt that hard if you do your research, i knew nothing aobut this conversion until i used the search feature and made a few PM's to a few choice people, and im still not done, but i hope to be shortly, after all you gots to work yo. its all about the benjamins....and subies of course. :lol:

~Josh~