Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 dl intermittent power loss

I am getting a power loss mild to severe most noticable on hills, but not always. When it is running well I can accelerate strongly on a hill or otherwise. Most recently happened right after a gas fill up. Exhaust system was new 18 months ago. Rebuilt distributor last week to cure no-start. The poser loss problem preceeded that. Looking in carb with engine off - there is a strong stream of gas upon pulling accel cable. Choke seems to work. No obvious vacuum leaks. I'm wondering about crude in the gas tank vs catalytic converter (except that is pretty new). Turning off or slowing down and then back on sometimes helps. Please share ideas.

I recently changed the fuel filter under the hood. Mine has three lines going into it. Two horizontal and one coming out the top. Is there another fuel filter somewhere?

Re: clarification- yes it can be the same drive. Yesterday, I thought I was going to have to call a tow truck. After I filled up, I added some dry gas, it was horrible for the next half hour - only got about a mile. Then I drove 30 miles with no problem. Today, I drove 60 miles with no problem other than a kind of surging when I'm cruising say 40 mph in third gear. If I accelerate out of that it's OK. Sorry I don't have better information. I am a beginner.

how old is your fuel filter? A bad batch of gas can clog them right up.

Just to clarify, it's fine sometimes, then other times it hesitates? During the same drive, or different drives?

I checked my "How to keep your subaru alive" and I don't think I have a condensor, because I don't have points. I have a pick-up coil. I do not think my problem is in the ignition system.

My current thought is debris in the 21 year old gas tank. Would that not produce an intermittent problem? I am planning on putting hose in there and pumping out some gas into a glass jar and looking at it. If I see debris I'll need some ideas. Can I take the tank off and wash it out. Are there clean replacements available? I thought I read about someone getting one from this group.