Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 81 Powered Boat

Mudboat

1982 EA-81 in a 16' hunting boat. Flywheel machined to accept a marine damper plate and a custom built bell housing to bolt up a 1 to 1 marine transmission. 1" shaft through the bottom strut with a 10" SS 2-blade prop. Keel-cooled (water circulates through a special radiator built into the hull). Exhaust systems vary from boat to boat. No 2 are the same.

Stick drive, rudder steering.

The rig literally blows through mud and hydrilla due to the engine's power and low drag of the fiberglass hull.

Top speed = Approximately 40 mph in 6" of water. Less in deeper water.

A common sight in South Louisiana. There are probably a couple hundred of these boats in my area. Each one custom rigged... I have pics, but not not on a web page.

That's a pretty awsome setup man. 40 MPH on the water is damn fast :brow: What do you mean by 'stick drive' ? I've seen these boats before and understand the rudder steering but the stick drive eludes me

Are your pictures in digital format? If so I can host them for you. I have plenty of web space.

Ok, since some of my pics are up. I'll try to explain the "Stick Steering". See the vertical SS steering stick on the left side of the seat? Well, it is designed the same as some air boats. This setup uses a boomerang ("L" shaped Stainless plate that pivots) to transfer the front to back motion of the stick to the side to side motion needed to operate the rudder. To set up this steering, you need to make sure that the boomerang and rudder tiller are completely square with each other. The components are connected with 1/2" SS shaft with adjustable rod ends at every swivel point. Every stationary pivot point (stick, boomerang and rudder) are mounted with flange bearings for reduced friction.

As for other engines used in these boats. Everyone uses either EA71's 81's or 82's. There are some who use Nissan engines for more HP, but they are not as compact. I've seen V6 engines in mud boats, but they are usually very heavy. Not ideal for running in the marsh, but very powerful for shallow duck ponds.