Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA 81 Powered Boat

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mudboat

Mudboat

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • New Orleans

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:46 AM

1982 EA-81 in a 16' hunting boat. Flywheel machined to accept a marine damper plate and a custom built bell housing to bolt up a 1 to 1 marine transmission. 1" shaft through the bottom strut with a 10" SS 2-blade prop. Keel-cooled (water circulates through a special radiator built into the hull). Exhaust systems vary from boat to boat. No 2 are the same.

Stick drive, rudder steering.

The rig literally blows through mud and hydrilla due to the engine's power and low drag of the fiberglass hull.

Top speed = Approximately 40 mph in 6" of water. Less in deeper water.
A common sight in South Louisiana. There are probably a couple hundred of these boats in my area. Each one custom rigged... I have pics, but not not on a web page.

#2 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 12 January 2005 - 03:00 PM

That's a pretty awsome setup man. 40 MPH on the water is damn fast :brow: What do you mean by 'stick drive' ? I've seen these boats before and understand the rudder steering but the stick drive eludes me

Are your pictures in digital format? If so I can host them for you. I have plenty of web space.

#3 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:47 PM

Do you mean that you steer with a tiller rather than a wheel?

Are other subaru engines used? EA71, EA82, EJ18, EJ22.... Maybe even a twin-turboed JDM EJ25....he he he:brow:

#4 Mudboat

Mudboat

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • New Orleans

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:50 PM

Ok, since some of my pics are up. I'll try to explain the "Stick Steering". See the vertical SS steering stick on the left side of the seat? Well, it is designed the same as some air boats. This setup uses a boomerang ("L" shaped Stainless plate that pivots) to transfer the front to back motion of the stick to the side to side motion needed to operate the rudder. To set up this steering, you need to make sure that the boomerang and rudder tiller are completely square with each other. The components are connected with 1/2" SS shaft with adjustable rod ends at every swivel point. Every stationary pivot point (stick, boomerang and rudder) are mounted with flange bearings for reduced friction.

As for other engines used in these boats. Everyone uses either EA71's 81's or 82's. There are some who use Nissan engines for more HP, but they are not as compact. I've seen V6 engines in mud boats, but they are usually very heavy. Not ideal for running in the marsh, but very powerful for shallow duck ponds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users