Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PL-14612......Forester 2003 Turbo, ALL 2004, ALL 2005. Subaru is changing all 4 cyl to this filter.PL-14460 is for 2003 Non-Turbo and all previous Foresters.

Subaru has a dealer Memo though that states 'for NON-Turbo applications, the older filter CAN be used without voiding the warrenty' or some statement to that extent.

The newer 14612, although smaller on the outside, has a larger filter surface area, BUT a lower bypass valve setting.

Thanks Ferret.............Had a feeling the PL 14612 was correct but needed input from Subie veterans.

PL-14612......Forester 2003 Turbo, ALL 2004, ALL 2005. Subaru is changing all 4 cyl to this filter.PL-14460 is for 2003 Non-Turbo and all previous Foresters.

Subaru has a dealer Memo though that states 'for NON-Turbo applications, the older filter CAN be used without voiding the warrenty' or some statement to that extent.

The newer 14612, although smaller on the outside, has a larger filter surface area, BUT a lower bypass valve setting.

What is the correct Purolator oil filter for the 2005 Forester 2.5 NA engine ? Some say the PL-14612 and others say the PL-14460. Which is correct ?

Thanks.[/quote

Put good Oil Fiter on and its NOT a Purolator..Get NAPA or Wix....Wix makes NAPA.....Cut one open and yuo can see the difference......More filter material and better construction.Get the best, in the long run a buck or two more is cheap when you get 200,000 out of the motor.......

To each their own on Oil Filters. I HAVE had a Fram fail causing complete engine replacement (77 Plymouth Arrow...my replacement was a 79 Subaru DL Front wheel drive). For that reason I will not use a Fram on my own or any vehicles I service (neighborhood mechanic)

But Russ Knize, at the link below, has done his own study and has had threats from different companies about his observations. Like any study, read it and use the information along with other information/experiences you have had. My $.02

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Interesting, I confirmed through purolator that the newer filter has lower bypass valve setting, 14-18 PSI vs 20-25 PSI for the older. Of interest, WIX Filters baypass valve was 8-11 PSI for the same application. Lower is better? Hmm, maybe I should switch my 2000 legacy to this newer filter?

After some more reasearch there is an explanation:

"The following is a quote from page 8 of the August 2003 Subaru Tech T.I.P.S. newsletter that SOA sends to all Subaru service departments

ALL TURBO MODEL OIL FILTERS

Be advised that the correct oil filter to use on 2003MY/2004MY turbo model vehicles is P/N 15208AA080. This includes the 2004 WRX STi. Naturally aspirated vehicles should use P/N 15208AA024/15208AC060. Using the wrong oil filter on a turbo model may put the filter too close to the turbo down pipe and possibly cause an unnecessary heating of the oil filter."

But there is another problem:

http://www.subaruforester.com/viewtopic.php?t=1919&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Apparently, some purolator filters can leak when exposed to high oil pressure in turbo engines with very thick oil in extreme cold. The high bypass valve opening pressure in the purolator filters obviously contributes to the problem.

I understand that the new filters are not made by purolator anymore (made in Japan by Toyo Roki).

It sounds like the old filter is fine for NA engine, at least in mild climate.