Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can you prevent apple core of governor gear?

I have an 87 Turbo 4WD wagon. My old 3AT 4WD transmission exploded so I picked up a used one out of a wrecked car. Was very clean inside. Installed it, new fluid, new gear oil, and test drive - it wouldn't shift at all. Mostly just second gear if you set the selector to "2". Took out the governor to do the cleaning and touch up as recommended and the gear was just about gone with apple core, I'd doubt if it was even making contact it was so bad. I didn't have a dental mirror to look at the internal gear but with an old governor on hand that was in good shape I had nothing to lose. The internal gear just by feeling felt like it wasn't scarred. Is that possible that the gear on the governor wears but not the internal mating gear? Can anything be done to stop the apple core from happening or is it just a normal predictable wear to be expected after "x" miles? It shifts now with the other governor. It does wait to 4K to shift to high but it does shift smooth so maybe I'll rework this governor and try a vac modulator.

Thanks,

Ray

Replacing the gov with another used one will last for a little while. But with it worn that bad, I'm pretty sure the worm gear inside the diff is bad too and it will in short order wear out the one you just put in. Might be a good idea to check the gov before getting the next tranny and installing it.

I've never heard of a alum replacement, whats the deal on that Moosen? What part is replaced?