Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air Con radiator

Lang

As i do a lot of slow running in my EA82 Wagon and in my climate it gets very hot ambient temperature wise, the air con has not worked for ten years or so and really dont need it, am thinking of putting coolant hoses into the air con. radiator that fits in front of the coolant radiator to give the extra help to keep the motor temperature down. Was thinking about removeing the air con; radiator however thought I may hook both up and in winter if needed semi-blind the radiators. Any opinions?...

So your engine is gettin hot and you want to like run the heater hoses through the air con rad? Hehe i think you should try and find the cause of your overheating instead of make a band aid fix like that. Your radiator is probably the orriginal one it came with from japan and probably gunked up. I live in queensland so its hotter up here and my new rad it kepping it under half all this summer. Your thermostat might also be locked hal shut or something.

Bob, just to clarify, the vehicle is subject to six hours a day of 2nd 3rd gear work mostly, mixed in with some low range albeit not much, a lot of time idleing and in valleys and a lot of hills , all slow work with constant stopping. The radiator has been re-cored, all other things checked out, it never boils however gets to the hot side of things on occasions, and the query was this, if the air-con radiator is there, why not utilise it in summer under the conditions I subject the vehicle to ?..And of course throw the question out as to maybe be cautious as to why not! Regards Lang

The air conditioning condenser (you call it a "radiator") certainly obstructs air flow through the radiator. If you're never going to use your car's air conditioning system, you should remove the condenser and also unplug the two connectors on the air conditioning compressor. However, I wouldn't try to make that thing work as an extra cooling system radiator.

It's entirely normal for the car's temperature gauge to climb towards the Hot indication. Halfway between Normal and Hot is still quite OK. Just be sure that the electric cooling fan operates normally. I've heard of people replacing the viscous coupled fan on the water pump either with one that runs all the time or with another electric fan, wired in parallel with the original one.

I'd go with a second electric fan.

If you can't get the engine temperature under control, turn the heater control all the way up, turn the fan on full, and open the car windows. I've used this dodge to get me home when my car's cooling system packed it in. That never happened on my Subarus, but it DID happen on my Cooper "S" (the real one).

I wouldn't run coolant through your aircon condenser, its not designed for water coolant.

My thoughts,... remove aircon condenser (air restriction), attach extra electric fan, possiably on front of ratiator, (make sure it pushes the air the right way), and use it to pull in extra air while you are driving slow or whateva

(im kinda hijacking here but...)

my temp gauge never rises above 1/4 scale but engine runs at a normal hot temp

is this a problem in my temp sensor or gauge?