Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've had the 16" WRX wheels on my '93 Legacy for a couple of years using the WRX stock tires (205/55-16). Those tires are worn out now and I'm ready for new ones. Since 225/50-16 is a +0 size with the same diameter, the only issue I have to worry about is the additional 3/4" of tread width. It appears that I will have enough clearance for the fenders and strut towers, but I thought I'd see if anyone else is successfully using the new size tires I'm considering.

Thanks!

Michael

Michael,

I'd be very curious to know whether this works! I've currently got 205/45 r16's on my legacy. The speedo is off about 6% at 60mph, and going to the wrx sized tire 205/55 r16 would put it about where it needs to be. However I'd like to go wider, and 225/50 r16 would be nice...if it fit.

I currently have the Goodyear GS-D3's and have been extremely happy with them, and would like to get them again. They do offer them in the 225 size. Another plus, they tend to run a little narrower compared to other 225's. So that may help.

I probably won't be looking to replace mine for a little while, so if you do decide to go with the 225's, I'd like to know how they, if they fit.

I've had the 16" WRX wheels on my '93 Legacy for a couple of years using the WRX stock tires (205/55-16). Those tires are worn out now and I'm ready for new ones. Since 225/50-16 is a +0 size with the same diameter, the only issue I have to worry about is the additional 3/4" of tread width. It appears that I will have enough clearance for the fenders and strut towers, but I thought I'd see if anyone else is successfully using the new size tires I'm considering.

Thanks!

Michael

good god no.

someone came into our garage and wanted to do exactly that. Clearance is perfectly fine. the wheels are FAR too narrow for 225. the biggest you can safely go it 215. any wider and the tires REALLY stretch onto the rims.

it's a scary thing!

good god no.

someone came into our garage and wanted to do exactly that. Clearance is perfectly fine. the wheels are FAR too narrow for 225. the biggest you can safely go it 215. any wider and the tires REALLY stretch onto the rims.

it's a scary thing!

Hi LDDV86,

Thanks for the info. But it got me to doing some more research which produced some conflicting info. I looked up the tire manufacturer's specifications for 225/50-16 tires which say they will fit on a rim width of 6" to 8". The stock WRX 16" wheels are 6.5" wide, so it's within the range. Then I went to some WRX specific forums and a few other Subaru forums (i-club, clubwrx, nasioc & scoobymods) and found numerous posts about 225/50-16 tires on stock 6.5" WRX wheels. Every one of them said the tires fit fine on the stock rims, looked good and handled good. So, even though I value your opinion, I may just give it a try anyway.

Michael