Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Totalled my 1990 Legacy LS...what to buy now?

Well, my legacy has finally bit the dust after 15 years of faithful service (thanks to this board/internet)...really got my moneys worth!!! Last week, a speeding mack truck hit it at an intersection and my subaru spun out at least 2 times and was totalled....luckily I walked out to the astonishment of the spectators with not even a bruise. The subaru was not recogizable though...had to crawl out of the window...all the doors would not open.

Anyhow these 1990 subarus are fantastic in this type of crashes.

I really miss my subaru and would like to get another one for abou 5000-7000$...any recommendations as to the best year/model to get. I like wagons. The only thing I hated about the legacy was the torque bind and air suspension.

You can buy my 1990 legacy wagon (no air suspension) for $1K. That should fill the void.

It has a ton of new parts, (2) TV's, (2) 12" woofers, huge amp, JVC CD/MP3 head unit with remote, DVD player....

Well worth the asking price. Oh yeah.....less than 5K on the tires. Don't forget about those bling bling hubcaps too.

Wow! You put an American Legacy amp into a Japanese Legacy car. Won't that cause some kind of corrosive electrolisis due to the close proximity of dissimilar countries? But hey, the car ought to be worth a grand just based on the bling, bling hubcaps. In fact, why are you even selling such a one-off custom collectors item?

Wow! You put an American Legacy amp into a Japanese Legacy car. Won't that cause some kind of corrosive electrolisis due to the close proximity of dissimilar countries? But hey, the car ought to be worth a grand just based on the bling, bling hubcaps. In fact, why are you even selling such a one-off custom collectors item?

No problem at all...the '90 Legacy was made in TN, USA not Japan

Well, my legacy has finally bit the dust after 15 years of faithful service (thanks to this board/internet)...really got my moneys worth!!! Last week, a speeding mack truck hit it at an intersection and my subaru spun out at least 2 times and was totalled....luckily I walked out to the astonishment of the spectators with not even a bruise. The subaru was not recogizable though...had to crawl out of the window...all the doors would not open.

Anyhow these 1990 subarus are fantastic in this type of crashes.

I really miss my subaru and would like to get another one for abou 5000-7000$...any recommendations as to the best year/model to get. I like wagons. The only thing I hated about the legacy was the torque bind and air suspension.

Not sure if coloradosubarules is being serious, but if not I have a 93 wagon that I'm putting a clutch in in preperation to sell it. The new parts installed include a new Exedy clutch and new valve cover gaskets. The original clutch went 190K miles before going out so I'm pretty sure this is a car that will last you quite a while. As well as replacing the clutch, I'm going over the car with a fine toothed comb to be sure the car is as reliable as it can be. It is a blue '93, AWD Legacy L Wagon, 5MT, 190K on the odo, fresh clutch, fresh gear oil in the tranny, fresh oil in the oil pan, new head gaskets, new clutch. PM me if you are interested.

Not sure if coloradosubarules is being serious, but if not I have a 93 wagon that I'm putting a clutch in in preperation to sell it. The new parts installed include a new Exedy clutch and new valve cover gaskets. The original clutch went 190K miles before going out so I'm pretty sure this is a car that will last you quite a while. As well as replacing the clutch, I'm going over the car with a fine toothed comb to be sure the car is as reliable as it can be. It is a blue '93, AWD Legacy L Wagon, 5MT, 190K on the odo, fresh clutch, fresh gear oil in the tranny, fresh oil in the oil pan, new head gaskets, new clutch. PM me if you are interested.

Too bad, I am in Ontario so all these offers are futile. Shipping would outway cost I imagine.

I'm pretty sure the amp was made in japan. I don't really know if the car was made in USA but I would have to do some research on that.

I'm not selling my car. I am actually buying one just like it from a local bail bondsman. It has 158K on it and it has the 5MT and some SWEET 17" Niche Rims with low pros. It is white and gorgeous. I will be taking some pics of my current car and my future car in the near future.

Sorry to hear about you loss though.

Be careful if you get something more recent than a 95. You need to be sure to get one with a 2.2 litre engine; there were lots of reliability problems with the 2.5. Avoid the "Brighton" model -- it's VERY basic, and you'll miss all the bells and whistles you had on your '90. The 95 Brighton doesn't even have remotely adjustable outside mirrors.

I absolutely HATED the used 95 Brighton wagon we bought to replace our 92 L wagon. What a piece of s..t. Our 95 L sedan is very good (no problems at all), MUCH better than our 2004 L sedan. The automatic transmission in our 2004 is garbage, compared to the one in the 95.

I don't really know if the car was made in USA but I would have to do some research on that.
It's real simple, what is the first letter in the VIN, if it is 'J', then it came from Japan, if it is somethiing else, I think the USA was 'S', it was made outside of Japan.

I got a 95 LSi wagon this year. It's a really nice car for a 10 yr old--the leather interior has held up really well and I would guess looks nicer than if it had been 10 yr old cloth. I've got high miles on mine, but I'm sure you could find some with more at the 100K range. Buy a mid-90s one that has been taken care of with the 2.2 and you're in business. I've seen some pretty decent Subaru deals on 95-97 wagons for $3,000-5,000 if you avoid the Outbacks which are typically pricier used vehicles.

If you got travelin shoes, search out classifieds in areas where Subarus aren't as in demand. Colorado probably has higher priced used Subarus than does Texas. I got my 95 Legacy wagon from a little lot in rural Kentucky--it had some front end damage that I had to repair myself, but I got the car for very cheap. (Disgustingly cheap...) If it had been a damaged 95 Camaro it would have been priced three times what I got it for.

Personally, if I'm used car shopping, I'd rather buy a good 96 model car for $4,000 and invest $2,000 into it (nice wheels and/or tires, upgrade the seats if needed, audio system treats, misc. accessories, and of course all required maintenance for the mileage on the car.) than to buy one 2-3 years newer for $6,000. Assuming the older one has been maintained mechanically--has a 2.2--you're good to go and you can "spoil" the car as soon as you get it.