Ultimate Subaru Message Board

There's a 1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary L 2.2L that I'm going to go look at this evening. Any particular quirks I should look out for on this model year? Any particular troubles these cars have?

Thanks!

Urban Coyote

The 2.2L is a great engine. If the car has been well maintained, then that is a great car.

hey man, i have a 99 leg l sedan 2.2 5-sp anniv (burgundy). have a dealer use the VIN and see what work has been done by sube dealers, usually warranty work. other than that, drive it and look for fluid leaks. also, maint log or receipts from previous owner would be nice. you might be in time for a timing belt change. haven't had any trouble with mine except prior owner had to have p/s pump resealed due to leakage. also had to have both cats replaced (code p0420) under 6yr 80k fed emission warranty. also had to recently put in a new speedometer. beyond that, no brake rotor or clutch horror stories (so far). i think these are the good (old) models.

Thanks for the info Steve! I’ll take the interference engine into account…..but the car is in great shape. I took it for a test drive this evening and it drives very smooth. The only thing I noticed was a sudden acceleration when I hit 2500rpms with steady pressure on the gas….almost felt like an automatic changing gears. Is that normal?

The car has just under 90,000km on it (just a baby compared to my 330,000km Loyale). If it hasn’t had a timing belt change then it’s probably due about now. Am I correct on that account?

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I really appreciate it!

Urban Coyote

The car has just under 90,000km on it (just a baby compared to my 330,000km Loyale). If it hasn’t had a timing belt change then it’s probably due about now. Am I correct on that account?
In Canada, they spec the belt change at 96,000 km for this model. In the States, it is 105,000 miles (160,000 km approx). Go figure.

Given the age, I'd do it now. I do a lot of driving. I've done mine at 100k km, then 225k, then 350k. I'm debating letting it go out to 500k. The belt has always looked in great shape. 150k km is less than 3 years for me.

Commuter

of maintence items in cars that are speced for more frequent work in the great land of poets, cold, and beer.

I have always wondered if manufactuers thought that the cold conditions possible in Canada's Nothern regions would be harder on equipment. I do remember how brittle many items became at extreme temps in Maine, which is one of the reasons I live in CA.