Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carb to EFI conversions

Converting to the factory SPFI system is REALLY easy. I recently finished a manual detailing the conversion. Hush777 has scanned it, and it should be posted in the USRM SOON!

I did the conversion in two days the first time, and I'll never go back. Drivability, power, and economy are all improved over the stock carb, and compared to the Weber I was running, drivability is WAY better and economy is significantly improved. If you've either got access to a good junkyard or you can get an EFI parts car, the conversion is inexpensive. It cost me less than when I converted to the Weber carb last year.

you're going to wait for 10 horsepower to just waltz up to you and smack you in the face or something? not to mention I hate carbs and have no reason to because mine never failed me and got 30 highway and 24 city, that was with 86 gl and hicrappy.

~Josh~

SPFI stands for??? (I assume the FI is Fuel Injection?)

I wanted to do the same on my 81 subaru and all I got was fear from the people I asked. Sensors have to be put in a bunch of spots and the claim was the car could just shut off and not work while one was driving on the freeway.

do it!

yeah dump the carb. EFI is the only way to fly. I hated the carb on my gutless old 85 GL. If I knew more at that time I may have kept it and converted it.

I have seen enough webers and delortos from the Days of VW tuning. I knew EFI was for me when I as a rookie fixed a fuel injected square back after many carb lovin VW guys had looked at it and failed.

I kind of think it could be a really cool "cottage industry" to offer fuel injection make-overs for carbed cars. I would gladly spend the bucks. I would slowly get the money back over time with increased fuel economy and I'm saving money driving an older car anyway, I'd love to have the choice.

I talked to a subaru repair shop, both dealer and non-dealer, and they showed visible disdain at the idea of doing a fuel injection conversion.

I have collected all the parts and pieces to do the conversion on a 86 sedan but not sure that I'm gonna do it as the car is for my niece and she won't care either way.....

And I just got a car with a decent carb on it for the car....

And a 85 gl-10 turbo wagon:brow:

I like the SPFI system, have several cars with them on it.

Hush

I kind of think it could be a really cool "cottage industry" to offer fuel injection make-overs for carbed cars. I would gladly spend the bucks. I would slowly get the money back over time with increased fuel economy and I'm saving money driving an older car anyway, I'd love to have the choice.

I talked to a subaru repair shop, both dealer and non-dealer, and they showed visible disdain at the idea of doing a fuel injection conversion.

I would do it.:brow:

spfi is the most simpe type of efi out there. I have gone thru worse EFI coversions before.

how much do you want to spend $$$???

Sequetial Port Fuel Injection I assume...
Single Point (port?) Fuel Injection

aka: TBI Throttle Body Injection (what all the GM duders call it cuz thats what GM called their SPFI)

Just has one fuel injector in the middle of your throttle body.

MPFI: Multi Point Fuel Injection

Has an injector at each cylinder.

EA82 came with carb, SPFI, MPFI, or MPFI turbo... pick yar poison !_!

SPFI stands for??? (I assume the FI is Fuel Injection?)

I wanted to do the same on my 81 subaru and all I got was fear from the people I asked. Sensors have to be put in a bunch of spots and the claim was the car could just shut off and not work while one was driving on the freeway.

Hmmm, that's interesting. Mine hasn't shut off yet after several thousand miles of driving, and I only had to add/connect two sensors outside of what was contained in the disty and intake setup. (Only one of those sensors was an absolute requirement for it to run.)

EA82 cars: it's a cakewalk

EA81 cars: you have to modify the disty a little

EA71 cars: quite a lot of work because the intake manifold won't cross over.

And yes, the stock Hitachi carb, when it's in good shape, is great as far as fuel economy is concerned, but SPFI has better drivability and more power.

morganm - sounds just like the dealers up here.. bunch of idiots at the dealer here too.. I went in and asked the head service guy if he knew anything about making a 3.9 rear end into a LSD 3.9. He said no, why in the hell would you want to do something like that..

hahahahahaa stupid people make stupid babies, and then their babies make more stupid babies with other stupid people.... spreads like a virus

Now you have my attention...:rolleyes:

So how much did it cost to convert the carb to injection? :confused:

My Buggy runs sweet and I'd hate to mess with it but having the ablility to re-start the engine on unimaginable angles would be a real plus :grin:

....Humm$$$$....

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer---been there done that on steep stuff with a carb.

01 Forester---geared such that it wouldn't matter it it was carbed :lol: