Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carb to EFI conversions

Well by popular demand I will be converting it soon. When I go to the junkyard besides the efi unit istself what are some other things I should look for, harness, computer ect

Check this out: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28620

There is a complete parts list a few pages into the manual.

Sweet82: Cost is dependant upon a lot of things. I got a complete SPFI donor car for $100 and spent $150-$200 on new parts.

Thank you, that is what I needed. Bravo hush777 good manual. I think alot of people will be doing that converson soon.

Check this out: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28620

There is a complete parts list a few pages into the manual.

Sweet82: Cost is dependant upon a lot of things. I got a complete SPFI donor car for $100 and spent $150-$200 on new parts.

I'm doing this too. Yeah, my carb does get like 30ish MPG in 2wd..... and yes, its slow, very very slow. I just went to a yard and picked up all the parts I needed execpt the two relays(had no clue where they are) and I got out for.....

$75

Ba-Zing and I got the gaskets so I'm pretty much ready to roll.

*raises hand*

I have a question, and some ideas that could make this maunal slightly better. Firstly, number the pages so that one might refer back to them easier. I also personally used the Zip tie technique to bind my little manual as well. Ok, now for the question. I'm gonna try this a little stupider way then the maunal suggests. My plan is to get a Dodge neon style heat box and thorw the computer under the hood, for fun. On the 22nd page of the manual, the one that is actually a scan of section 2-7 page 32 in the FSM, theres a picture of the connectors for the ECU and what they hook up to. I'm thinking that I need to hook up EVERYTHING on this page, is that correct? Also, when I got right into the manual the first thing I discovered is that you should buy the ECU with the same tranny as your car has... DOH! I found this prime Auto and didnt think about the tranny hookups it has and I have a D/R 5 speed. Anyhoo, accroding to the same page as above, there are only two things that differ between the auto and 5 speed and thats pin 13 and 15, the inhibitor sw and the parking sw... What do I need to do with those? Thanks a ton for all the responces, and I would like to say that this manual is really well written! Thanks for all your hard work!

to be completely honest, if i wasnt doing the EJ22 swap i would totally do the efi swap, i mean cmon people, theres a reason they dont make cars anymore with carbs, except those retards in NASCAR, "your car MUST have a carb", "what, why", "casue this is NASCAR son!, we love huge carbs and drive in circles bi**hes, YA!!....WOO!!!!" sorry, guys, but WTF is the point in going in circles and calling yourself a darn "racecar driver". okay im done with the hijack/rant.

~Josh~

*raises hand*

I have a question, and some ideas that could make this maunal slightly better. Firstly, number the pages so that one might refer back to them easier. I also personally used the Zip tie technique to bind my little manual as well.

I put page numbers on the manual.

Also if anyone can not access the manual online please pm me and we can set things up to get you a copy.

Hush

I may go back and edit the manual if I get a chance. Thanks to Calebz, it has come to my attention that the manual and auto trans ECMs are identical. You shouldn't have any trouble with your conversion Phil. I had also considered putting it in a box under the hood, but decided against it mainly because of the very limited time I had to do the conversion (I did it over thansgiving and had to drive 750 miles back home at the end of the break).

to be completely honest, if i wasnt doing the EJ22 swap i would totally do the efi swap, i mean cmon people, theres a reason they dont make cars anymore with carbs, except those retards in NASCAR, "your car MUST have a carb", "what, why", "casue this is NASCAR son!, we love huge carbs and drive in circles bi**hes, YA!!....WOO!!!!" sorry, guys, but WTF is the point in going in circles and calling yourself a darn "racecar driver". okay im done with the hijack/rant.

~Josh~

My thoughts exactly. Rally is the only TRUE motorsport!! Okay, formula 1, offroad racing, moto/snowcross, etc are cool too. Just not nascar.

I concur, NASCAR made it clear years ago that they were in it for show, not for expieramenting with the limits of present technology. As one who has done the conversion (not over a long weekend!). I can attest to its benefits. In fact, my mom landed my car in a ditch because she accelerated while turning too quickly in 4WD because she was not used to the additional power - and she has been driving it for 20 years!! (no she did not do any damage - gotta love those Soobs!)

What about MPFI, i assume its a whole engine swap or a least a head swap

Did they have SPFI in Australia?

cos on the underside of my bonnet it has a sticker for the ignition timing,.. it has carb, mpfi and mpfi turbo.... no mention of spfi????

I too are interested in the swap, and also was thinking of how easy it mite be to put the ecu under the bonnet

What about MPFI, i assume its a whole engine swap or a least a head swap

Did they have SPFI in Australia?

cos on the underside of my bonnet it has a sticker for the ignition timing,.. it has carb, mpfi and mpfi turbo.... no mention of spfi????

I too are interested in the swap, and also was thinking of how easy it mite be to put the ecu under the bonnet

Yes it would involve at least changing the heads, or the whole engine.

You could find an old tubo with a bad engine but good head, grab everthing like you were going to do the SPFI swap, then put the heads and intake stuff on a Carbbed short block. Would make it a mpfi (non turbo), but it would be more involved. Or grab a turbo and swap eveything over.

Hush

ok time to one of my typical run on sentance things here goes

if you want pretty much plug and play go with a efi conversion from a exsisting junkyard efi suby motor of your make and type ect

if you want.. to be able to actually tune it and make it all work with any other upgrades you might want <bigger injectors better ehaust toss of the maf sensor turbo upgrade supercharging you name it>

then i might suggest getting your flavor of efi intake you want spfi or mpfi or better yet mpfi spider

i snagged a whole spider intake injectors and all at a yard for under 50 bux

now to stay stock ecu and stuff you need the stock wiring harness <including the whole ripping it out of the car pain in the rump roast experience> thats usualy a extra charge for wiring harnesses

then you need to get the stock ecu ..and potentially the matching distributor

more money lets not forget the efi fuel pump and relays for various things

oh and stock suby efi is maf based so you need the maf sensor and related plumbing stuff

or you could spend about 150 ish for a megasquirt box that is not maf based

can run any injection setup you want to use or build

then you need a gm air intake sensor you can use the stock suby water temp sensor and the ms box has the map sensor in it and a 02 sensor in the exhaust <stock suby ecu needs one anyways>

alot smaller harness than stock suby to work with and you can then tune the car with a laptop or what ever you have

or you can use a wideband o2 and get a almost self tuning injection system after the basics are adjusted of course

its not the easy what with all the tuning and stuff

but the end result is far superior

take a look at www.msefi.com for lots more info if you want to go the do it yourself route

just a idea

The problem is that it would not look like it was OEM, even to a fool of a mechanic, and it would make getting it to pass inspection VERY difficult (at least where I live). Besides, half the fun is playing with old subaru parts in questionable condition. Though I will say the megasquirt idea is good especially because it can be customized If you're offroading go for it. Another thing to consiter is reliability and availability of parts in the long run.

well on the fool the visual inspection part

you can use the factory wiring harness and just wire in the ms to the wires under the dash for the stock ecu and then as far as anyone can tell its all stock

if they pull teh dash plate and look at the ecu then it might give it away

my ms box sits loosely under my front drivers seat

but i don't have emission inspection to worry about either

also as far as emmisions go.. you could tune it to mae passing the emmisions test super easy

then after testing go back to the power/mileage tune

In theory, the SPFI system could probably handle a little bit of boost, but performance would not be stellar. They've still got single port heads and no knock sensor. If you want turbo, it'd be less work and you'd get better results if you just swapped in a turbo engine.

I'm not sure exactly what all the differences are between cars with and without tachometers. The speed sensor wire that you need to tap for the conversion is still in the same connector and is the same color, though it goes to a different pin.

can a spfi be turbo'd???

I'm not an expert.

You could do a draw-through setup without too many issues, I should think. You would have to upgrade your injector to handle the extra fuel you would need (not just because of more air -- turbos need to run a little rich). Your throttle response would be worse and your powerband narrower because draw-through setups always have lots of lag, but I think it could be done. If you kept it to around 7-9Lbs of boost, I think you could do it without causing an instant meltdown.

Happy plumbing!

- Freed