Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have heard rumors that this will be introduced in the Legacy in '06. It is currently available in Japan, but that unit is a Panasonic and as far as I know Panasonic currently does not have any US Navi systems on the market.

-Heikki

By GPS I am assuming you mean navigation.

Yeah, I see on the International Web site that Navigation is an option, (as well as a car information display) - but it dosent specifically say GPS.

Isn't there a difference in Navigation systems - One is a GPS system, that really works - like the ones used in Acura's and Lexus' then there are the crappy ones that are dvd based that they use in VW's?

Most navigation systems utilize a combination of DVD information (the map) and GPS information along with a few other sensors.

<ramble>

A (very) abridged explanation of how most navigation works:

The unit acquires a (sometimes rough) initial position of the vehicle by analyzing received signals from GPS satellite transmissions. It then takes this information and combines it with the distance the vehicle has moved (acquired from the speed sensors + GPS) and the direction the vehicle has moved (acquired from a compass and/or gyro + GPS) to attempt to match its traveled path to a map of known roads (generally stored on DVD, CD, hdd). The system actually does not rely on the GPS information all that much unless it "gets lost" (i.e. travels off-road and cannot be matched to roads nearby). If you are looking for a system which not only tells you where you are, but gives you directions to get somewhere else then there is a whole other complicated mess of processes involved.

As for the non-DVD (CD, hdd, etc...) navigation systems, I have heard of some systems which download the map data via satellite link. I have no idea as to the validity of their existence or their performance but that may be the other option you mentioned?

I have not see a Lexus system, but have heard that the Acura systems are quite good (they work on something like the process I outlined). My only complaint is the poor map display of the Acura (Alpine) system. It does, however, offer real-time satellite traffic information (for a fee) which is an industry first in the US and could prove to be cool (at least for those interested in automotive tele-matics gadgets).

</ramble>

-Heikki