Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Howdy folks,

I plan to replace the clutch (i.e. pressure plate, disk, release bearing and pilot bearing) this weekend. Should be fun, out in the driceway, nice breeze, around 30 deg. F... Anyway, I plan to have the flywheel resurfaced. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about any aspect of this job that will make things easier or anything I should watch out for while I am at it?

Also, any suggestions on how I can remove the pilot bearing without a special tool or a slide hammer?

Thanks for any cooments. Have a great weekend all.

Vehicle is a 1997 Legacy, SOHC

Mike Vanderzanden

First off I've never done a clutch on THAT specific year/make/model but here's some general advice.

Prolly wont need flywheel resurfaced. Is it good? sure... will it be absolutly neccessary? Prolly not; look and see :)

You can use a socket the same size as the outside race of the pilot bearing as a 'punch' to force it out. Find a socket that is the exact same diamter as the very outside ring of the bearing where it goes flush to the flywheel. That way your socket and esentially all the force of your hammer is going on that solid steel clyinder and not the weak metal shields and bearings themselves.

Use that same socket to get the new one in. Note BEFORE you pull your old pilot bearing out how exactly it sits in the fly wheel. Put the new one in the same way and seated at the same depth.

Stay warm out there and take breaks at key times to get the blood flowing again man :drunk:

Hi Mike,

I just replaced the clutch and transmission in my '91 Legacy AWD a couple of weeks ago. I have done engine, clutch & tranny replacements in RWD american cars & trucks many times but this was my first time doing anything like this on an AWD vehicle. I had a Haynes manual and it did help a lot. Also, I was able to use a nice, well-equipped shop with a lift, tranny jack, air tools, etc. and I had a knowledgable helper working with me part of the time. Even so, this was the most involved and time-consuming repair hob I have ever undertaken, around 20 hours total for the R&R.

In order to get to your clutch, you're going to have to remove either the engine or the transmission. I think that given your working conditions (driveway, freezing weather, etc.), it would be easier and faster to remove the engine, rather than the trans. Especially if your car is AWD. If you haven't done many jobs like this, especially on FWD or AWD cars, I strongly suggest you have some type of repair manual for reference. The Haynes manuals aren't great but they still help a lot and they're only about $15.

On my car, the pilot bearing is pressed into the flywheel, so removing it was as simple as knocking it out with a drift punch once the flywheel was removed.

Hopefully, you'll get some good advice from pro mechanics or people with much more Subie experience than me. Good luck!

Well, I managed to complete the clutch replacement, including flywheel resurfacing, over the weekend. I did the entire job (except flywheel machining) single-handedly, out in the driveway, with temperatures in the 20's, in approximately 16 man-hours. Not too bad, I guess, considering. But, no doubt, this job is a bit of work on this car. It was a bit easier on my old '87 GL. Thanks to the two folks who posted responses to my initial inquiry. I forgot that the pilot bearing is pressed into the flywheel, and not the end of the crank shaft, so it is a simple matter of driving it out.

The only issue I still have to resolve is that now the speedometer/odometer does not work. My Haynes manual says I have a "speedometer cable" which had to be disconnected before you drop the transaxle but I definitely do not have a cable on mine. It is possible that I neglected to reconnect a plug if this car has an electrical sender on the trans for this purpose. Does anyone have a comment on this? Again, it is a 1997 Legacy Wagon with the 2.2 l SOHC engine.

I am glad I did the job over the weekend 'cause now the temps are in the teens and it would be very difficult to work out there!

Thanks again to those who chimed in for me.

Mike Vanderzanden

<< It is possible that I neglected to reconnect a plug if this car has an electrical sender on the trans for this purpose. Does anyone have a comment on this? Again, it is a 1997 Legacy Wagon with the 2.2 l SOHC engine.>>

did you pull the engine or drop the trans? there is a connector on the trans that is your speed sensor. its located on the passenger side of the trans, right behind the dipstick. hope that helps.