Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need to pull out the center console on my 2001 Forester to see if I can figure out why when I switch from defrost to floor to vent it always stays on defrost. I've never pull the console off before. Could anyone tell me where the screws and hooks are? I assume there's some screws hidden under bottons and things like that and probably some plastic snap hooks around the edge that I don't want to break. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alan

Dayton, OH

well I did that on a 94 legacy wagon. it involved taking out the seats to get to some of the bolts.. this may be different on a forrester, but I know some of the screws that hold them down are in the middle between the seats under the ebrake handle.. should be a plastic cover that you pop up giving access to the screws.

When you get it loose, it will slide straight up.

Just take a flashlight with ya and look under the seats, see if you can get them out without pulling the seats.. take your time, you'll find em all

If 5 speed, unscrew the shift knob

Open console cover and remove 2 screws at top front, then remove trim from cover to shifter.

Remove shifter cover (just pull the 5 speed bezel off)

Remove 2 screws in bottom of console storage (toward rear seats)

Remove the 3 screws by the shifter, then the console comes out.

5-10 minutes

I'm afraid either I wasn't clear about which part I need to remove or I just have to remove more than I thought I did. The problem is with the vent/defrost control in the same console but above the stereo. Do I really need to remove the console around the shifter and back just to get at the controls in that console that the stereo shares?

By the way, if it makes a difference, it's an automatic.

Thanks again.

Alan