Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2 cars to build one

Hi all,

I'm still very new to this but I am diving in. As I posted before, my '86 gl wagon 2wd AT FI is giving me trouble so I have been on the look out for a parts car. The result, I happened across an '86 gl wagon 4WD MT Carberated that looks good. I realize this dosn't solve my AT problem but it seems like a good deal anyway at $250 CDN (Thats about $12.87 USD). SO I BOUGHT IT on spec.

I haven't had a chance to really go over the "new" car but it seems in about the same shape as my 2wd except the engine is tired.

So I have a 2wd with bad auto tranny and a 4wd MT with a weak motor.

Now my question.

To build one good car from the 2 I am asking for opinions on what to do.

-Put the good motor in the 4wd and if so, can I also put the FI in with it or should it change?

-Change the 2wd over to MT and/or 4wd

-Find a tranny for the 2wd

-Fix the motor on the 4wd. Can the rings be changed without pulling the motor. I am aware of the method to pull the pins but can they be reached without pulling the motor?

- The 2wd heads were recently done so those could go on the re-ringed 4wd.

Sorry for the length but I am trying to think all this through cause I don't know what is most feasible and I thought I would throw it out to those who know.

Thanks

Maybe fix both??

I would have to say put the efi motor in the carbed 86 gl you just acquired, about 10 more horsepower and better reliability. I believe there was a link about carb-to-efi conversion, search for new posts, should be there as of today. 4wd is awesome, i dont think that it would be too much trouble, only question is do you have another car for a daily driver while you do the conversion.

~Josh~

There is a difference between the auto and manual tranny EFI. I am not entirely certain whether or not the computer is physically different or not, but I don't think it is. I'm pretty sure that it's just a programming adjustment. My understanding is that all you must do is remove/disconnect the A/T identifier pin from the ECM connection (It tells the computer that it's in a car with an auto tranny). Surely others know more about this than I do, but I think that is the case.

:snowman - sorry.. meant to reply, not edit :)

There is a difference between the auto and manual tranny EFI. I am not entirely certain whether or not the computer is physically different or not, but I don't think it is. I'm pretty sure that it's just a programming adjustment. My understanding is that all you must do is remove/disconnect the A/T identifier pin from the ECM connection (It tells the computer that it's in a car with an auto tranny). Surely others know more about this than I do, but I think that is the case.

As far as I know, that doesn't apply to the older soobs. I went from auto to manual and did nothing but bypass the neutral safety switch, which has nothing to do with the ECU

put the FI motor/4wd drivetrain in the best body of the two!!!

if the bod on the 4wd car is rusted out (like mine) put it under the fwd car, if they're similar, I bet the motor swap would be slightly easier than drivetrain swap (less fabrication)

here's a link to morgan's rightup about his 2 to 4wd conversion

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=16

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Sub,

I'm in cgy and have a really good EA82 SPFI 1.8L engine. I just have to throw some head gaskets in it and it'll be good to go. Too bad I got rid of the 4WD tranny.

I also have many parts for the FI and a few contacts in CGY. Of course I'm always looking to expand my subaru community!:banana:

PM me if you're interested