Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Outback Did rear bearing, now emergency brake shoes dragging

I finally got my rear wheel bearing installed. I went ahead and bought a 12 ton press as the hubtamer c-tool I had made did not budge the bearing out. I removed the knuckle and took all the emergency brake hardware off, pushed the bearing out, pushed new bearing in, installed seals, pressed hub back in.

I reinstalled the emergency brake hardware and when I went to put the rotor back on, I had to use a hammer to get it on. Now, it appears that the emergency brake on that side is dragging bad.

I used the exploded diagram in the haynes manual to put the emergency brake stuff back together. The only place where there may be a problem is the "strut" bar that goes across between the shoes. On the shoe that has the emergency brake lever attached to it, I put the wider end of the strut on it, including the brake lever. It did not appear to go the other way, and it wouldn't have fit behind the hub otherwise.

I am looking for any and as many ideas as can be had. The car has been in the front yard for a month and it is getting too cold to drive the VW Bus.

Thanks,

Mark

Needing a hammer should have been a clue that something was wrong.

Assumming you put it backtogether right, did you turn in the adjuster a little?

Was/is there a rust ridge around the outside of the drum?

Is the e brake cable rusted partially pulled? on?

Did you lube the backing plate?

There likely was/is a rust ridge on it. The rotor/drum was off and laying under the car for almost a month in the front yard.

I backed the adjusters completely, thinking the same thing.

At the time, the e-brake was not engaged, but the cable could have locked in place? The emergency brake will lock up the other rear wheel and skid the car on gravel.

Lube the backing plate? How and where could I have done that? I didn't do that cause I assumed that the backing plate has nothing to do with everything in place. Tell me more.

I guess the next thing to do is to take it all back apart, take the rotor/drum back off, maybe get it turned? to get rid of the rust?

Thanks a bunch for your reply. Any other ideas are most appreciated.

Mark

Assumming you put it backtogether right, did you turn in the adjuster a little?

Was/is there a rust ridge around the outside of the drum?

Is the e brake cable rusted partially pulled? on?

Did you lube the backing plate?