Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The wiper motor drive shaft to the wiper arm is steel, while the wiper motor gear box outer case is white metal. The two metals, through lack of use and lubrication, can corrode to the point of cementing them together. That's most likely what burned out your wiper motor. If you take off the nut, lift off the wiper arm, and remove the plastic garnish washer, the one inch nut you're complaining about can be corroded to the gear box case as well. I removed mine with a large combination wrench covered with duct tape, so as to not scratch the glass if it slipped. If it won't come off easily, you'll have to cut it off with an air driven cut off wheel, or Dremel tool. If you are careful, take your time, and don't force the wheel while cutting, you should have no concerns about glass breakage, if you use a very wet rag to cool down the metal nut as you cut it. Too much heat in one spot could cause the glass to expand too quickly in one spot and crack. Use some caution and you should have no problems. Good luck!

When replacing my wiper motor I ran into the same trouble. The outer nut came off with some blaster, but it took some soaking. I had a really hard time getting the arm off of the shaft. I ended up buying a battery terminal puller, which worked great. The nut under the arm is NOT a lock nut, but it might as well be. I soaked and soaked before trying to remove it, but when I finally did the housing of the motor broke before the nut broke loose.

When replacing my wiper motor I ran into the same trouble. The outer nut came off with some blaster, but it took some soaking. I had a really hard time getting the arm off of the shaft. I ended up buying a battery terminal puller, which worked great. The nut under the arm is NOT a lock nut, but it might as well be. I soaked and soaked before trying to remove it, but when I finally did the housing of the motor broke before the nut broke loose.

What the h3ll are they putting on the roads up there that is causing this kind of deteriation on th nuts holding the rear wiper motor onto the liftgate?!?! I can understand perhaps exaust bolts (the ones that attach the Y-Pipe to the rest of the exaust), but they are in a pretty extreme environment. . .

What the h3ll are they putting on the roads up there that is causing this kind of deteriation on th nuts holding the rear wiper motor onto the liftgate?!?! I can understand perhaps exaust bolts (the ones that attach the Y-Pipe to the rest of the exaust), but they are in a pretty extreme environment. . .

Sodium chloride, and lots of it.

They don't call it a breaker bar for nothin'! :brow:

(My daughters insisted that I use the banana) :banana::banana:

There is a good chance that the motor isn't burnt out. My 98O/B rear wiper wasn't working either...the fuse was good and there was power getting to the motor. After removing the motor and cleaning everything up, it worked fine. The problem seems to be that the output shaft corrodes. A few drops of thin oil might get it going again.

They use salt on the roads, in mass quantities, here in NY I beleive the politicians get big kickbacks derpending on how much salt they use.

Destroys roads, bridges, cars the environment etc.............

Seen the salt shakers spreading it even on dry roads...........

I've got nuts and bolts under that car that will never come off until they break

swi66