Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Instument dimmer stuck on low!

Well where to start off.....

Baically it all started when i was wiring up a boost gauge for my 00 Impreza,i was runing the light of the light around the cigar lighter and as i was wiring it up to wires touched and had blown the instument illumination fuse.I replaced the fuse only to find that the instrument lights are now permenetly dull not matter what stage the dimmer switch is set!

Ive checked all fuses(in the engine bay and under dash) but to no avail!Am i missing some other fuseable link??!!

Any help would be awesome!

well not really sure. I'm sure you probably put the same amp fuse in to replace the blown one. Also is the light for your boost gauge wired into your dimmer switch? I hardly doubt it would affect it at all but it might be worth a check.

P.S. remember to disconnect the battery when doing electrical work on your car. Saves you bundles on fuses after a few years :)

I would guess you did damage a fusible link. From the sounds of it, the problem may be a bad connection somewhere also. I would look for the problem using a voltmeter. You should be able to find where the voltage drops with that. I would make sure the grounding is ok also to the dash.

I would guess you did damage a fusible link. From the sounds of it, the prblem may be a bad connection somewhere also. I would look for the problem using a voltmeter. You should be able to find where the voltage drops with that. I would make sure the grounding is ok also to the dash.

OK, this may sound overly simple, but are you sure that the polarity of the guage light is the same as the dash lights (IE you are not putting dash light hot to ground and visa versa)?