Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

93 loyale knocking under load

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mattri

mattri

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • iowa, usa

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:52 PM

I've owned many Subarus over the years, just now found this site. Looking at a 93 Loyale 4WD 5spd 200K+ miles. I'm going to look at the car tomorrow. The owner says it has started to make a knocking type noise when accelerating. They are from Alaska and just moved down here. If it's just under load that makes me think detonation. How can I tell if it just needs to be timed or if it has a rod going? Thanks, Matt.

#2 phishy75

phishy75

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • victoria, bc, canada

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:55 PM

There's others on the board that know a lot more than me.....

But I think you're right - if the knock is just under load and not all the time I would guess that it is timing.

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,180 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 16 January 2005 - 02:18 AM

this wouldnt be the infamous engine tick? anyway you would hear that all throughout the rpm range, any load....

the stock timing sould be 20 deg btdc +/-2 deg

my experience with a rod knock, the knock would be intermittent upon startups. and also you would hear it as load changes, such as revving in neutral, you would hear it at the moment you let off the gas, and then again when it returned to idle, it would go away at load or negative load.

lets evaluate and eliminate anything else before we decide it has a rod knock!

#4 Bucky92

Bucky92

Drive Fast, Take Chances

• Members
  • 3,664 posts
  • New Milford

Posted 16 January 2005 - 08:33 AM

My 92 Loyale had a knock under load back in Sept.about 2 weeks before I had a noticeable problem with my ignition system.Once doing a good full tune-up and cleaning my injectors the knock went way...I still have a tini- bit of the TOD but thats getting better with the use of MMO.

I used to always think the worst when mine makes a noise (Its my only car..no back-up and its my baby). But I have learned to always look into the simple things first before thinking the worst.

#5 mattri

mattri

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • iowa, usa

Posted 16 January 2005 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the replies. My first thought was the tick as well, but the owner says it's more of a knock. Fox, thanks for the dignosis help, I'll listen for that. I'll be gone all day today, then I go to look at the car at 5:00 so I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again, Matt.

#6 86subaru

86subaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,090 posts
  • ohio

Posted 16 January 2005 - 11:12 AM

also, check the timing belt tension. a loose or slack belt on the driver side can cause the distributor to backlash as the cam passes over the vlalve springs, and this can cause a slight knocking sound on the driver side and at the distibutor.

#7 mattri

mattri

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • iowa, usa

Posted 16 January 2005 - 10:44 PM

Looked at the car today. It's in OK shape but the motor will need some work. The timing belts were changed about 100K miles back and there does seem to be a slight knock. I'm going to look into a replacement motor/rebuild and will post a thread to that affect. Thanks for all the ideas. Matt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users