Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 conversion

gunslinger

if anyone has a detailed list/diagram on how to convert to a EJ22/5 sp, i would appreciate it. ive got a lead on a 110K motor and trans in perfect condition i want to use. ive got it figured out pretty much but it would be nice to have something to go by that someone else has already done. fabrication isnt any problem, just all the electrical hookups that get me.

Hi, this is getting to be a very popular project. there is lots of info in this particular forum and there are at least two people posting about this project now. I am one of them and neither me nor the other guy seem to be updating very often, probably because it's cold out.

the first thing you should know is that we have a very technologically advanced research and development dept hidden under Mt. Rainier, and they have devised ways to do this swap either with the stock trans and an adapter plate, or by adding the legacy trans. the legacy trans *is* built for a little more power than the stock trans but most if not all of us agree that there is no problem using the stock trans if you're not hotrodding the engine too. also, adding the legacy trans means a little more work.

As Austin said i now have a 1980 EJ22 convert, well, i will by the end of January, and i plan on doing the swap to a 1988 by the end of June, its cold in Michigan, give me a break. I got the Digi Cam and i plan on doing a complete write up for both the 81 and 82 series bodys, with wiring and the rest of the fun times that i'm sure will ensue. I'll be honest, the info won't be free, you'll have to do somthing for the board to make up for it, i'm sure Shawn would love a donation to the board.

I suppose I could be a little more helpful on the board, but I am currently thinking of things that can be made better in the conversion too...

the tranny I am still thinking about, sense I did the dual range conversion, I do like the ultra torq made extra useful by the low range...

(i am still wondering if someone got the video of the wagon going up the hill climb at EC with 5 people and cargo in it, with no prob!!!!)

but I found I needed to use 4wd more often than i ever used just front, due to the massive amount of power and lack of traction (the camber of the front tires caused by the lift kit give it not enough traction to handle the 130hp front wheel drive)

so with that said, *if* I do this conversion again.. i will be using the EJ AWD tranny in the conversion (single range, unless i can get the dual range from Austrailia, Euroupe, Japan, or...?)

the electronics can be worked out more.. I may be doing some "studying" down at the Oregon lab on the weekend.. (if time permits) to add to the info pile...

more to come...... stay tuned to your local USMB brodcasting centers near you

:cool:

hey if your not doing anything tomorrow at 7pm, we'll be up at the Buffalo wild wings in Novi, ask for subaru, really, were regulars. every tuesday.
I will try to be there but get guarantee it. Because I'm sooo busy this week.

Things to do: call the adjuster for my dad's Honda CR-V, take the CR-V to a body shop to get it fixed(rear-ended). Call my health insurance to find out which chiropractor to go to(my back is not doing so well from the accident) Once the car is fixed, do oil change. Then once that is done, get a new windshield...There is a huge crack.

Dan

get back to me on wether or not you can use the EA82 5 sp, or the EA81 4 speed for that matter. i dont really want to use the EJ trans since i want low range and NON AUTO 4X. i really want to use it with the 4 sp D/R for the crawl speed/power and for having the lower overall gears for larger tires. ive got 2 cars with the Ea81 4 so ill be able to use one of them......

You can without a Doubt use the 5 speed Hi-Lo and You could use the 4 speed, But I wouldn't suggest it......

To do the EA searies 4 or 5 sp. you will need the adapter Kit I build to mount it to the EJ-22

Let me know when you need one, Have fun,

John

ill be doing one soon, though i lost the low KM motor @ PAP, they junked the car. my '85 hatch isnt seeing the road till its how i want it, EJ22/tcase/lift/welded diffs. how much is the adpt. plate you make? not shopping, just satisfying my immediate curriosity.