Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have owned many new vehicles but none with turbo. Now the oil leval in most when new is slightly over full. The new Legacy GT is way over the notch. Is this normal for Subaru? Also Do most use 10-30 ? Does everybody run 35psi fro and 32 re for the Potenza's ? Later Jeff

Run it for another 300 miles and make the switch to synthetic and add a little less than the owner's manual says. Don't forget to replace the oil filter too, and fill the new filter with as much oil as it will swallow before screwing it on. (This will speed up the oil delivery on the first start after the drain.)

Drive, leave level overnight, and top off if necessary.

(I prefer Mobil 1, but Castrol is also perfectly respectable. I had a BAD experience trying Redline. My car developed the infamous piston slap after running Redline for less than 100 miles. Switching back to Mobil 1 5W-50 could not cure it. DANG IT!)

So you dont have to leave the rings seat for a few more miles like in the 6 litre chevy's ? In the past I have always at least 5 thou miles then went syn. But These engines dont know. Thanks for the info.

Run it for another 300 miles and make the switch to synthetic and add a little less than the owner's manual says. Don't forget to replace the oil filter too, and fill the new filter with as much oil as it will swallow before screwing it on. (This will speed up the oil delivery on the first start after the drain.)

Drive, leave level overnight, and top off if necessary.

(I prefer Mobil 1, but Castrol is also perfectly respectable. I had a BAD experience trying Redline. My car developed the infamous piston slap after running Redline for less than 100 miles. Switching back to Mobil 1 5W-50 could not cure it. DANG IT!)

Hi,

I changed to Mobil 1 in my 2005 Baja turbo at 3000 miles but the rings didn't

seat. I was losing a little oil, (1/2 quart) So I had to use regular oil untill 10k to seat my rings. I don't know why it took so long for the rings to seat.

So just keep an eye on your oil level and you should be fine.

Greg...

Hi Subi Girl,

Yes with engine cold. It is strange though. One time I checked the oil cold and it didn't even register on the stick. I just about freaked out, but I added an 1/2

quart and it registered almost full immediatly after that. So it seems the oil

can get trapped up in the engine somewhere? How and why?

Thanks greg...

Well Gregg Here in North Dakota The Germans[and all intelligent enough to live here] are smart enough to know when and how to check the oil. No FREAKIN OUT[aka no lsd when young] When brain thought no oil on the stick [must have been having flashbacks ]. But hey to each his own. Jeff

Hi Subi Girl,

Yes with engine cold. It is strange though. One time I checked the oil cold and it didn't even register on the stick. I just about freaked out, but I added an 1/2

quart and it registered almost full immediatly after that. So it seems the oil

can get trapped up in the engine somewhere? How and why?

Thanks greg...

Well Gregg Here in North Dakota The Germans[and all intelligent enough to live here] are smart enough to know when and how to check the oil. No FREAKIN OUT[aka no lsd when young] When brain thought no oil on the stick [must have been having flashbacks ]. But hey to each his own. Jeff

I'm not sure, but I think I've just been insulted? Greg..

No Gregg I really wasnt insulting just thought you were having fun so I did also, but last night my humor from bad day was not good . Sorry if you took it serious. Jeff

WWNH, Jeff. No problem. Thank you for the reply. I have never owned a Subaru

before and I think I have alot to learn about the strange engine particulars.

Such as the rocker covers holding oil long after the car has been shut off,

giving a low oil reading. Thank you all for the help with my questions. Greg...