Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I finished putting back the car together, its time to replace the ATF fluid. What is the good brand to go for? I hear valvoline high mileage is pretty good,

Mobile 1 seems to be very expensive?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

95 legacy auto AWD

I am not a big fan of synthetic tranny fluid. I have heard too many horror stories, plus it's very expensive. I used the Valvoline Dura-blend Dexron ATF for several years in our outback, no problems but most likely a waste of money. Currently I am using Mobil conventional Dexron III, about $14 a case at my local club store. I think the best thing you can do is to use a name brand fluid and change it often, i.e. drain the pan and replace that volume of fluid once per year. Tranny filters should also be changed periodically, though I don't know the details for your year. Make sure you use the proper type of fluid, I assume your car requires Dexron but double check.

My 98 O/B has got 220K kms on it and was starting to shift from 1st to 2nd with a clunck and a jerk. I drained as much of the tranny fluid as I could myself and added Mobil1 synthetic. It shifts MUCH better now and I find that when it gets really cold,(like -20C), it also shifts better.

I have heard too many horror stories, plus it's very expensive.

Are you sure the horror stories were about AT and not MT?

I use mobile 1 and works just great. Did not notice a difference in quality of shifting or MPG, but after 1 change I have only 50/50 mix (you can call it a blend). Gives me a peace of mind when I tow. It is actually cost effective when I change synthetic every 30000 miles vs 15000 required for severe service.

Redline D4 ATF! Good stuff! I use it in my SHO MT and have had great results.

I have heard from some who have used Mobil 1 that the initial results are similar to those of D4 but that it needs to be changed more often to retain these results. This is strictly heresy.

-Heikki

Man, and I usually try to make a point of spelling somewhat correctly. I guess that's what happens when you are reading/typing on the USMB while trying to get things done at work.

At any rate, it is hearsay.

Unless, of course, everyone out there feels/knows that Mobil 1 is the best and longest lasting ATF. This would make the comments about the longevity of its performance heresy ;)

-Heikki