Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What are the tranny options for an EA71 (5sp swap?)

Hello all, good to see the new board alive and kickin!!

Anyway, just got a call from my stepdad u8p north who has my old EA71 Wagon that was my first car!! It's gone through the original tranny plus 2 junkyard trannys since i owned it, and the front diff sounds to him like the spider gears shed a tooth.:banghead:

I have two questions:

A. Will the EA81 4sp. 4WD single or dual range tranny swap right into the EA71 wagon LEGO style, or is there going to be a prob. with the starter placement, or any other unforseen difficulties?

B. Will the EA82 d/r 5sp swap be a possibility for the EA71 motor as shown how-to-do for the EA81, or is there something about the little ea71 that is different (flywheel??)

Thanks in advance guys...

Hey Don This is Jerry, if you want to make a trip up to Washington i have bolth of those trannys and you can have them for FREE just come and get them. 1 of them is a 4 speed single range that was behind a EA71 and the other is a Ea81 4 speed, let me know. Thanks Jerry

Alright, sooo....

Jerry, could you check the trans shafts sticking out of those two trrannys, and let me know if the splines match up, or if someone else knows the answer...I'm pretty sure the EA71 and 81 use the 200mm clutch disc, so it should work if the splines are the same, eh?

what year? is the starter on top or the side? if you have the top mount starter, you can change out the bellhousing on the motor from an ea81, it will bolt up the same, thus allowing the use of 4 and 5spd 4x4 tranny. the later 80's hatch has an ea71 with ea81 style bellhousing, and valves in the head.

if the starter is on the side, then you have the ea81 style bellhousing,. since the starter is on the trans, and if you have only the motor for reference, if there is a "hump" on the back of the motor, then thet is the ea71(1600cc) bellhousing. what you need is the one off an ea81, or later model ea71 that has the ea81 bellhousing.

the ea81 bellhousing allows you to use ant trans that has the starter on the side.

the clutches and flywheels you use will depend on what trans you use. the easiest way to go about is use the clutch and flywheel from the transmission that you will be using...............

elementary, dear watson, elementary...

Cool, thanx miles. Since the car is a few hundred miles north,I don't know where the starter is on that car, but now that I think about it, methinks it is on the side, as it is a late model ea71..it's a '80 1/2 silver wagon, 4X4, looks like Rooinater's.

its got a recent ea71 clutch in there, but if need be, we'll replace it with a j/y clutch :(

just need this thing to run for my steppops for another two months, then he's givin' it back to me!! :brow:

hey i skipped over most the post, but if you want the d/r range on an ea71 motor check my web site. it should have all materials needed. 4speed d/r only not the 5 speed uless you change the motor.

off the top of my head:

ea71 83 or newer 2wd bellhousing and flywheel and clutch, the starter must be on the side.

the starter off of the 83 or newer car w/sidemount starter

engine mounts from the 2wd motor or modify your mounts, to fit new bellhousing.

ea81 clutch cable

ea81 tranny crossmember is a good idea but not needed.

check my website it should have more detail. have a nice day!

not loking for the dual range, just any old junk box that'll squeeze in there to get the car around for a couple more months, as a seized diff is prevently that now...I was asking about a 4sp. s/r from an EA81 in particular, now that i've narrowed down priorities. The ea71 will come flying out of that hood as soon as I get my hands on it..:grin:

So for the ea81 s/r tranny to work on the ea71 motor, I'll need just the proper bellhousing, and the flywheel, clutch, clutch cable from the EA81, right?

hey bratsrus1, you said that you have free trannies? I making a trip to pick up an 84 turbowagon that needs a tranny. Maybe I could pick both of them up and put the EA81 in the wagon and use the EA71 for my 79 wagon..... I'll have to check on days that I have free to do that