Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Differences between GL and Loyale??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 erikvr

erikvr

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • TACOMA, WA

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:14 AM

First, let me say that I am a total repair novice, but I am on a mission to learn about car repair. I have owned an 84 GL (OHC) and have the HOW TO KEEP YOUR SUBARU ALIVE book by Larry Owens. The book only covers models through 1988 with its nifty little diagrams. It is the first book I have seen that gives me the little confidence to branch out into repairs. As I do so, I realize that my car may be out of service for a few days from time to time so I am looking for a second car, one that I can use the same book to work on.

MY QUESTION IS THIS: Are there any real differences between the Loyal an GL for repair purposes? Can I get by with this book on a Loyal, in the same way an 85 GL is the same as an 88 GL?

#2 stngllhm

stngllhm

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • Casper

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:42 AM

about the only diffrence is loyale will all be fuel ingected and alot of gl wheren't.

are you sure you have an 84 with OHC i do believe that was not used till 85. i could be wrong though it has happened before

#3 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:54 AM

GL has more cool stuff to keep you busy :cool:

88 GL (and Loyale) will have the fuel injected 1.8L engine. 85 GL should have a carb on it. That's going to be the biggest difference in engines.

#4 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Bremerton, WA, USA

Posted 17 January 2005 - 05:32 PM

The book will be fine, if you do a search you can find a much more in depth review of the differences

#5 Phishphan59

Phishphan59

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Huntington

Posted 17 March 2005 - 06:39 PM

I got an 86 fuel injected gl 10. the fuel injector leaks gas outta the top.

#6 vulgora

vulgora

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • linn country

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:17 AM

here is a video I made that shows 98% of the differences

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users