Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just wondering if anyone has or has heard of a rear fog light for the Subaru? I have heard of these being used in Europe (where they get a lot of very thick fog) but I have only seen a rear fog light once in the US, on the back of a Jeep.

For those who haven't seen them, a rear fog light is a very bright red light that makes a vehicle more visible from the rear. I've done a Google search on "rear fog light Subaru" but haven't found anything specific in the aftermarket for them.

I think I've been watching "The Weather Channel" too much. They've been having stories on heavy fog, esp. in the Appalachians. Does get me thinking, though. Now that I no longer drive a truck or SUV, I feel more vulnerable on the highways.

Just wondering if anyone has or has heard of a rear fog light for the Subaru? I have heard of these being used in Europe (where they get a lot of very thick fog) but I have only seen a rear fog light once in the US, on the back of a Jeep.

All Mercedes models have had them on this side of the pond since about 1992 or so. They use one light on the driver's side that illuminates bright red, increasing visibility greatly for vehicles following you in poor conditions. I have used it frequently on my MB's in blowing snow, fog, heavy rain and so on. I know that Volvo also uses them, and probably most European makes. I prefer having a rear fog lamp to the mostly-for-show front fog lamps most cars/SUV's/Vans have now.

I was disappointed to find that neither of our Subarus are so equipped. A company that markets it's vehicles as useful in poor weather conditions should have them as standard equipment.

Years ago these were available as an aftermarket add on lamp. If I recall both Hella and Cibie made them. I had one on the back of a 1972 BMW, it was wired to a seperate switch ad only used in heavy fog/snow conditions.

Leaving it on all the times makes it look like you are braking.

Glenn

For those who haven't seen them, a rear fog light is a very bright red light that makes a vehicle more visible from the rear. I've done a Google search on "rear fog light Subaru" but haven't found anything specific in the aftermarket for them.

I think I've been watching "The Weather Channel" too much. They've been having stories on heavy fog, esp. in the Appalachians. Does get me thinking, though. Now that I no longer drive a truck or SUV, I feel more vulnerable on the highways.

All cars in Europe from a certain date onward, have to have rearfoglights.

You can have one (left side) or on both sides. Here in the Netherlands you are only allowed to use them in thick fog because they do (when using 2) suggest you are hitting the brakes or you can even blind the drives behind the car ( in rain conditions very bad). Al Subaru models ( I know from 1997 onwards) have rearfoglights. The older foresters have sepparate lights in the rear bumper.