Ultimate Subaru Message Board

update 86 turbo xt mods

I disconected the over boost control valve and installed a turbo boost control valve in front of the wastegate. Turned up the boost from 7lbs to 11lbs and oh what a difference, i tried it at 14lbs for a few mins but i'll need better fuel injectors to stay at that psi. The cat,resonator and small pipe is gone and in its place i put 2 1/4 inch pipe, and that also helped quite a bit. Also does anybody have a good suggestion for a muffler, i want a good one but i still want a little back presure for the turbo or does it matter. Also after i finished these mods today me and my buddy with a 86 cobra mustang had a little race on the highway and both times we raced he couldn't keep up, not bad for ea82t. The more i do the faster the little thing goes. Does anybody have any other mods that is possible for this car? more updates soon, dj

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You might want to consider an intercooler, running high amounts of boost generates a lot of heat, an intercooler will reduce this heat, making the intake charge denser, which in turn gives you more power. Will also decrease the liklihood of detonation.

Now, you will also probably want to get a good A/F Ratio meter, adn a boost gauge. The boost gauge will help keep you from running too high a boost, say, if your wastegate decides to stick shut, and the AF meter will show you if you are running lean, a condition which can melt pistons, among other things.

Also, take your airbox out and cut the bottom of it out, this will increase the intake airflow. You can also remove the intake silencer out of the passenger side fenderwell, but this is not 100% necessary if you cut out the airbox. This will also make your car make cool turbo sucking noises that make the ricers scatter:brow:

when i took the exhaust and intake silencer off my old t-wagon, my jeep friend was quivering in fear and awe of my throaty burble, and those sexy intake noises. He didn't want to start up his little bshhoom bshoom bang put put 4.0! Ah that coupled with a 7500 rpm neutral to drive launch in the gravel put me at the top of the pecking order! Too bad my T-wagon didn't last too long :banghead: oh well it had 300+k km, and a blown h gasket anyway

Well i do have a boost gauge, and i have been looking for an intercooler. I did find one out of a 740 turbo volvo but it is kinda big, i also found one out of a turbo firefly but that one looks to small. I did replace the 195 therm with a 160 therm and hooked up a 10 inch electric fan to run full time when the car is running and it is running alot cooler than before. I'm going to cut the airbox today and see what happens. I was also thinking of going with those iridium sparkplugs but would they make that much of a difference? Dj

Glad to read about your turbo mod project. You'll get arguments about whether your turbo needs back pressure or not. The general consensus is that the bigger your exhaust diameter is, the better for your turbo to spool up. No exhaust (muffler) is the best. It's not always true. For your car, I'd go with a 2.5" exhaust. A 2.5" Dynomax turbo muffler should be nice on your car. A lot of guys here have modified their old school scoobies so they should be able to help you out.

I'd be weary of just cranking of the boost. An intercooler is a good idea. I've read that a Saab 900 intercooler should work ok on your car. Also, an air/fuel ratio and an EGT gauge would be a good idea. At least an EGT gauge to look at your exhaust temps.

This is a start. Good luck! I hope to someday own a turbo 1.8ltr engine from one of these guys that is in good condition so I can start modifying it. L8Rs

I do know where there are a few saab's so i'll look into that tommorow, thanks. I did cut out the bottom of the airbox today and yes it did make a difference, so i would recommend doing that for anybody. Does anybody know exactly where the air intake silencer is and what does it look like,i don't want to unhook the wrong thing. Also if anybody wants an easy way to make your car run about 10-20 degrees cooler buy a product called Water Wetter from the company redline it works awesome. Today i was looking at the new STI and i'll probably be ordering the hoodscoop for my car, it looks like an easy fit plus it looks cool and it will be very functional. The price wasn't too bad either $249 includes the scoop and all the hardware to mount it. Any other info on mods would be greatly appreciated i'm just having a blast blowing these ricers away. Dj.

I found a starion intercooler on ebay for 50 bucks, you should take a look at it. Those look really nice, it would make for a good setup on our cars too.

It's going to be a while before I get to that point. Found out the Exhaust manifold pipe had a huge hole in it, and basically broke in half. Now I need to find a new one :(

ah actualy the Subaru engineers must have given thought to the problem that a blow off valve or By Pass valve is suppose to solve. (i.e. the boost pressure bouncing off a rapidly closed throttle plate and hitting the turbo's impellor thus slowing it down.)

They did this by using a "dash pot"

Little known and not often mentioned devise slows the throttle closing just before idle and allows some of the boost pressure leak by the throttle butterfly.

I have a Volvo By Pass valve unit fitted to my 87 5 speed turbo and it does help a little compared to the well adjusted dash pot.

Newer cars use BPV's because they have higher factory boost pressures.

Here is a link to a picture of a few of my mods

It is a Starion intercooler BTW

http://www.westol.com/neper/willyengwdescsmall.jpg

email me if you have any questions

neper@westol.com

Originally posted by Skip

Here is a link to a picture of a few of my mods

It is a Starion intercooler BTW

http://www.westol.com/neper/willyengwdescsmall.jpg

email me if you have any questions

neper@westol.com

Aha! So that's YOUR wagon that I have seen pics of. I remember reading off of your website of your wagon before and had planned on doing similar mods to an old school scooby I had planned on buying off of Dennis here. Those mods seem really cool (pun intended) and helpful. Really nice ride Skip!

Skips Turbo/Intercooled Wagon Page

I don't think i need a blow off valve because there seems to be no lag at all between shifts or any time. I know the intercooler will work once i can find one that will work okay. I would prefer a front mount compared to a top mount but if i can't find one i geuss i'll have to go with a top mount. I would also like to install a water injection once i finally find the intercooler, anybody know of any good injections out there? Dj.

Does anyone have any timeslips that i could compare mine too, i'm just curious to see what other turbo soobs do. My best so far is a 15.8 at 83mph. I would also like to know if anybody has upgraded their fuel injectors on an ea82t and what size and maybe some part numbers. Thats what i'm going to work on next since i finally found an intercooler (92 supercharged cougar). dj

You can probably use any size exhaust you want from the turbo back without worrying about to little back pressure since the up pipe from the heads to the turbo has a small hole where it goes into the turbo and likewise the turbo has a small inlet hole too. There was a guy in Aussie, I think, that was making headers for these, with good luck.

The WRX hood scope is difficult to mount on the EA82. It's wider than the hump on the hood. Subarutex is getting contact info for a company that makes a WRX style scoop that is narrow enough to fit there and looks really good. He has one on his 87 RX and it's stylish yet functional:headbang:

Originally posted by dj72

Does anyone have any timeslips that i could compare mine too, i'm just curious to see what other turbo soobs do. My best so far is a 15.8 at 83mph. I would also like to know if anybody has upgraded their fuel injectors on an ea82t and what size and maybe some part numbers. Thats what i'm going to work on next since i finally found an intercooler (92 supercharged cougar). dj

For timeslips and such, you can contact a gentleman in Alaska whose name is David Gronemeier. A guy on the Yahoo XT6 forums (named Red#6) told me about him. He has a 1.8ltr XT turbo running mid to high 13 second 1/4 mile times. I'm sure David is using something for fuel management, upgraded injectors or both. David's email address is: Meritage@cgi.net Let me know if it doesn't work because that's what I have at the Subaru 1/4 Mile Registry that I run.

Another David (David Gustavsson) of ProECM uses a fuel injection controller on his XT6. It's called a ProECM Fuel Injection M1 #EFIM-1. Stop by the ProECM site to email him for more info about it. I plan on using it on my XT6. Here is info he sent me in July about it. I'm not sure if the unit(s) is ready though. The info is quite long. Good luck!

ProECM Fuel Injection M1 #EFIM-1

Reached the fueling limit of the stock ECU? ProECM M1 is the answer, a

completely programmable fuel injector controller. The M1 fuel injector

controller is a piggyback controller that makes it possible to control

extra

injectors in a way that only full blown stand alone Engine Management

units

have been able to do before. The M1 rivals the functionality of a

complete

Engine Management, but delivered for significantly lowered cost. The

ProECM

M1 does not use two tables to calculate a 3D surface. It is a

completely

non-linear system for true non-linear programming. This is a necessity

to

accomplish exact A/F ratios in all operating conditions. The ProECM M1

installs in parallel with the stock ECU to utilize the stock sensors.

This

makes for a very flexible and powerful control unit that will define a

new

era of additional fuel injector controllers. With a very powerful

programmable peak and hold drivers, the ProECM M1 is capable of driving

both

high and low impedance injectors.

Sensor Inputs:

All these sensor inputs are optional except for the MAP (Intake

manifold

vacuum hose) and crank trigger. This makes the ProECM M1 very capable,

yet

very simple to install.

a.. Throttle position sensor

b.. Intake manifold absolute pressure (MAP sensor)

c.. Intake air temperature (IAT)

d.. Engine coolant temperature (ECT)

e.. Built in pressure sensor up to 20lbs of boost

f.. Built in Battery voltage sensing.

g.. Auxiliary Analog input 1, can be used for oxygen sensor.

h.. Crank trigger.

Outputs:

a.. 4 channels to control fuel injectors. Up to 4 injectors per

channel

for a total of 16 injectors.

b.. RS232 for data logging.

Features:

a.. Base map uses 0RPM up to 12400 RPM at 200RPM intervals and 0 to

36lbs

of absolute pressure with 17 programming points. 561 Programming

points.

Linear interpolation between programming points.

b.. Base time is programmable between 0-655.35 ms, with 0.01 ms

granularity.

c.. Data logging functionality. Logs all sensor inputs and RPM.

Applications:

a.. The ProECM M1 is a universal fuel injector controller designed to

be

fitted as an additional fuel injector controller that can be fitted on

any

engine using the sensors desirable for tuning.

Includes:

a.. Comes with Windows based tuning software

b.. RS232 Computer cable.

c.. Installation manual and wiring diagrams

• 4 weeks later...

Well the oil pump went on my motor so i have to tear it apart and fix it, so since i have to tear it apart i'm going to go all the way. I'm going to find out how much i can bore out the motor so i can get a bigger displacement plus some forged pistons, also going to see if i can find a performance cam for this little 1.8. Also going to put a bigger turbo and quite possibly nitrous. More updates soon.

hey DJ

keep me posted on your progress...my car (still a work in progress) is set up similar to what youre attempting, pretty interesting...

the biggest bore pistons subaru sells for EA82ts is .050 over but i totally forget if theyre availible forged or not, i believe they are but you have to request them specifically.

about the turbo, the one on my XT installed by the previous owner is a VF10/11 from a 2.2l legacy with WRX exhaust there after. its a tight squeeze, and the converters sit a little lower then id like, but the sound is awesome and theres so many different ways you could go aftermarket if you went with this set up. plus its a nice upgrade from stock, and so many people on iclub are ditching the stock systems for aftermarket...

hot cams are availible from a company called paeco i think, they have a website...just do a search and you should come up with it.

my car is in a wierd "pre-tuned stage" right now. its very fast, yet reliable but there are a bunch of things that need to be squared away to make it a true runner. im having a weak spark issue, and this is with a monster blaster 2 coil from MSD, i need an A/F gauge installed badly and some suitable wheels to go with the 5 lug hub swap.

feel free to email if you wanna shoot the proverbial bull

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I have been talking to Carl at Paeco industries and he is custom making me my camshafts for me to the specs i gave him. I've also got the 50 over pistons o order. All said and done the motor should be pushing from 300-325hp, then with the 100 shot of nitrous on top of all this this is going to be one fun ride. To hook up all this power i'll be using bfg drag radials, can't wait to try it out. Should be done everything in about 3 weeks. More updates soon. thank you again for the info you gave me.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by dj72

Thanks for the info. I have been talking to Carl at Paeco industries and he is custom making me my camshafts for me to the specs i gave him. I've also got the 50 over pistons o order. All said and done the motor should be pushing from 300-325hp, then with the 100 shot of nitrous on top of all this this is going to be one fun ride. To hook up all this power i'll be using bfg drag radials, can't wait to try it out. Should be done everything in about 3 weeks. More updates soon. thank you again for the info you gave me.

Hey DJ72,

Well, projects rarely end on time or as planned but just in case.......3 weeks will be this Wednesday, 10-29-03. So how are things coming along? :-) Did you get those cams back from Paeco Industries yet?