Ultimate Subaru Message Board

update 86 turbo xt mods

The cooling is no problem, i have a nice new front mount intercooler plus a front mount oil cooler. The heads i got are getting reworked and ported and polished plus with titanium valves, guides, retainers,springs etc etc. Parts are on their way finally, should get started on the motor this weekend so hopefully by next wednesday i'll take it out and see what happens. wish me luck, again thanks to everybody.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well motor is finally together and i have been breaking it in over the past two weeks all is going good except for lots of minor tuning while its breaking in. I think i went just a tad overbored with this one, I put the custom ground cams in and they work awesome from 2500 to 7000 rpm with absolutly no bog or hesititation. The titanium lifters,retainers and valve springs work very well with this cam, plus i did get the heads trued and ported and polished. Also got the intercooler mounted and hooked up and it works great, i'm running 15psi through the turbo with no ping, also using 103 octane unleaded fuel, have turned up the boost to 17 but i like it around 14-15psi. I wasn't really expecting this car to be super fast but i was proved wrong the first day i took it out. Put it this way, one of my buddies has a 92 awd turbo talon that is nicely moded up and he's getting 13.7-14 in the 1/4 and we had a race just the other day and i went by him rather nicely even with all my wheelspin. Wheelspin is a major problem that i have now, the little sucker will break the front tires loose at 60mph, any suggestions for helping me with this. I thought of lowering the front down lower than the back to get better weight transfer, also thought of drag radials but i don't know if my axles will withstand that much pressure. Also if anybody knows of a bigger turbo i can put on this puppy it would be greatly appreciated because my buddy just ordered a bigger turbo for his talon and i don't want to lose, not to a blankenty blank dodge product. more updates soon. Dean.

Almost forgot, i also put a sachs racing clutch and presure plate in along with new bearings. Also got rid of the old airbox and now am running an hks freeflow aircleaner right off the maf, and does it sound good, the turbo and blowoff valve are super loud. Loud enough that the ricers look over and go what the hell is that, which is funny when you leave the decaled and mufflered peice so far back he doesn't know what just blew him away. lol , Dean.

Originally posted by dj72

Well motor is finally together and i have been breaking it in over the past two weeks all is going good except for lots of minor tuning while its breaking in. I think i went just a tad overbored with this one, I put the custom ground cams in and they work awesome from 2500 to 7000 rpm with absolutly no bog or hesititation. The titanium lifters,retainers and valve springs work very well with this cam, plus i did get the heads trued and ported and polished. Dean.

Hello Dean (DJ),

It's nice to read about your success with the Paeco cams. Maybe I shouldn't be so hesitant to send some in. You got any pics of your project?

If you want a nice little high rev screamer with lots of torque, Paeco industries is the way to go. Just tell him exactly what you have done to the car and plan to do with it and how you want it to perform and he will build the cams acordinly. If you want to build a similar motor to what i got i can give you my cam specs along with all the mods i have done to my car. I'll have pics up soon as i finish clearing the roll of film in my camera, or i'll borrow a digital camera from somebody to get the pics up sooner. Also if you do go with new cams don't forget the titanium lifters,retainers and springs because the stock ones will disintigrate with those cams. Dean.

Mine is just front wheel drive, i would like to make it awd though. How easy is it to do and where would i get the parts to do it, there are 3 of these cars where i live and the guys still drive them and won't sell them. Any help you could give me would be awesome. Dean.

Today i'm off to the junkyard to find me a legacy turbo, as i just found out it is bigger than mine plus it will bolt right in. Wish me luck because this town don't have much for imports. I f anybody knows of one let me know. Dean

it will bolt in to the cross over...

youll need a WRX or legacy turbo downpipe for the other side. if you use a WRX pipe, youll have to ream one of the bolt holes on the flange a bit. if i remember right its the bolt hole at 4 oclock on the outlet side of the turbine.

good luck man...

• 2 weeks later...

Put the Xt on the dyno yesterday and found out what i'm running for horsepower. 283hp at the wheels, so i'm geussing 315-325 at the motor. Also found out the motor creates its most power at 3000-7000rpm. Nice jump from 120hp stock. More soon.

Wow, 283 at the wheels. I'm very, very, very, very impressed! I'd be concerned about the tranny though, I really doubt they were designed to handle that much power. It seems to be holding up just fine though, I'm assuming. I wonder how much custom gears would run ya. :D

Originally posted by dj72

Checked the wreckers and found one but he wouldn't sell it the prick. Any body know of any legacy or wrx turbos around anywhere?

Check: http://car-part.com/

I just looked there and saw quite a bit of Legacy Turbos from $450 down to $175. Some even negotiable. Good luck!

BTW: I only saw 4 WRX turbos here going up to $500.

I call B.S. on the hp to the wheels. :D *My evil plan to see a dyno chart* B.S...B.S. (Man..that's awesome).

I'm friends with some of the guys at our local 1/4 mile track so we gave the car a few runs. The times kind of suck but do to the amount of wheelspin i'm getting, which is all though 1st,2nd, and part of third no matter how i launched or feathered the throttle. I pulled a best of 15.3 at 95mph and a worst time of 16.12 at 84mph.(I am running 205/60R13 cooper cobras for tires) To me the times suck but i do realize i can't hook the thing up. We also tried times from 40mph to 80mph and i got a best of 4.97secs and a worse of 5.93. I know the car is quick but i can't get those poor tires to stick. Once i can get this sucker to hook up, watch out because i think it will snap my head off. Also got a custom nitrous kit being built for me, 75hp shot with regulator so when i shift the rpm not going to go through the roof. As for money invested into the car, purchase price $1400, mods price $3164 so far. Pics and more info soon.

By the way my buddy with the moded awd talon turbo kills me off the line in a 1/4 mile race, so we just went from 40mph up then it was more fair. Still got some wheelspin happening but at least it was more fair of a race. Yes he did kill me in the 1/4 mile times but from a rolling start i anhiliated him badly. So until i get this xt to stick , which hopefully new drag radials will do once i order them, i'll have the last laugh with my buddy in the 1/4. His 60ft times were a best of 1.87 and a worse of 2.45, and mine was a best of 2.56 and a worse of 2.89. So you see, he who leaves first with no wheelspin wins race as long as his car is still fast. Once i can get no wheelspin my times should be at least in the 2 sec range and also won't be smoking the tires through the gears which is fun but anoying if you want to actualy win a race. more later.

Whoah!

This car sounds awesome. I would love to see pictures, specs, or whatever you've got.

As for hooking up, if you can find all the stuff to do it, you should get a FT4wd drivetrain out of another car and swap it in. From what I've heard, it's not that hard to do once you get all the stuff to do it, and that would definitely put the power down. If you still couldn't put the power down with 4wd, then at least it would look really badass to do four-wheel burnouts as you launch.

dude...

i have to call B.S. here, i need to see some proof too.

i dont understand how youre getting 283 at the wheels with just a port and polish and cams on the stock turbo. the titanium lifters and new valve springs added maybe 10HP by themselves. my heads were ported and im probably putting tops 160HP to the ground after a complete rebuild without cams.

we exchanged emails before about the car and i never actually heard what else was done to the car, can you elaborate on the mods again? im not trying to flame you or high jack this post, im just curious how you basically quadroupled what the car is putting to the ground by just by what was listed above.

please reply, obviously alot of inquiring minds want to know...in my opinion, the only way youll get that kind of power out of an XT is with an engine swap, if im out of line - prove me wrong.

Well...everyone forgot about my RX.........who cares! :madder:

Doesnt matter, DJ's is way more reliable than mine. But I had AWD!

Anywho...that is way awesome man. I can get you a 4wd donor car...for $400. Its supposed to run, but overheats...and its and Auto. I can....get you an XT6 trans and matching rear diff.

Dennis: Cams did a TON for my RX. Stand on it, it get sideways. old engine: it just goes. New engine: speedo pegs out in no time. Old engine: 110 mph, thats it.

looking thru that post reminds me....someone mentioned XT6 throttle body. its WAY bigger than the 4s. Pleadies has an ER27...and in person, its unreal how much bigger they are than the regular EA82 thr. bods.

WE need some!

EDIT: I certinly dont know anyone personally that has an XT, that is modified.

Well all i have to say is go for a ride and you will change you mind about the horsepower right away. As for mods, no cat, just straight 2.5" pipe all the way to the back going into a flopro free flow muffler then into a pacesetter resonator tip. Front mount intercooler, front mount oil cooler, turbosmart boost control valve set at 15psi, stock turbo has also been polished for smoother flow,cbv blow off valve, hks air intake, all emission and pollution stuff in trash, heads are shaved ported and polished, copper head gaskets, titanium lifters springs and retainers, forged pistons, Sachs race disc and pressure plate, alumimum flywheel, custom cams specially made for my specs(336 lift) , Vp 103 octane unleaded race fuel, no rear seat or spare tire and jack, hood, back and front bumper are in process of being lightended. Want more? go for a ride. This car has proven many fast wannabe cars just what a subaru can do with a few mods. Also for comparison, roll on races with wrx's even some of the moded ones in town still can't keep up(not that i wouldn't love to mod up a wrx but they are to expensive right now). But of course i still get killed off the line due to my nasty wheel spin problem. pics and more soon as i get less busy at work.