Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Legacy Outback Headlight replacement

I have a 97 Outback with 161,000 miles on it and I also had the milky white headlamps as well. I used a plastic polish I purchased at Auto Zone and it pretty much cleared up the milky look. It should save you a lot of money and the aggravation of having to remove and install the headlamp assembly.

My only problem is that my left headlight plug comes loose enough for the light to dim where it is almost loose, but when I just tap the back of the electrical plug behinf where it attaches to the bulb and it brightens up again. I have to do this several times a dy depending how bumpy th road is.

Thanks for the reply. I used the 3M polish on her lights several times and it is now time for the replace job. I would rather replace them than listen to my wife complain about them again. LOL
Or... do what I did with my 97 OB. Put in a 100/80W bulb. Yeah... I know... off road use only... yada yada. No problem with wiring over 3 or 4 years now, but the connector has eventually failed from the heat. Low cost, takes a couple of minutes, and you'll probably be rid of the car before you suffer the connector failure.

Commuter

thanks. Just finished the assembly replace. Easy job. 3 bolts a few grill clips adjust and go!@

You might wanna put your old headlight assemblies on eBay. Even though they may not be a purty as new, clear ones, someone on a budget would still buy one or both of them as a replacement much cheaper than new...

My only problem is that my left headlight plug comes loose enough for the light to dim where it is almost loose, but when I just tap the back of the electrical plug behinf where it attaches to the bulb and it brightens up again. I have to do this several times a dy depending how bumpy th road is.

Had the same problem with my 95. I cut off the factory wiring harness to the headlight and spliced in a new one from Wally-World for $4 and it works perfect.

• 1 year later...

Do they actually get dimmer with time, or do they just quit working? I have a 97 outback and noticed I can barely see the road at night. When I put on the high beams, it looks about normal and no one even flashes their lights at me.

I can't tell if they are pointed the wrong way or just getting dim.

If so all I need to replace is the lightbulbs ($12 each) correct?

If you can't touch them, how do you install them? I can use lab gloves from work to make sure no finger oil get on them, is that enough?

Thanks much

Joey

If so all I need to replace is the lightbulbs ($12 each) correct?

If you can't touch them, how do you install them? I can use lab gloves from work to make sure no finger oil get on them, is that enough?

You can hold them with a clean rag with a little rubbing alcohol. If you touch, just make sure to wipe off your prints. Lab gloves is a little overkill....but I still like!

I was looking at my headlights today as I pulled right up to a wall. They are both straight and fairly dim. I can look directly into them without needing to squint (maybe that's why I can't see at night).

They do get brighter as I click high beams but still don't seem all that bright. The thing is... both of them are exactly the same.

Another thing is that I thought I could turn them on with the car off. There's the switch on the top of the steering column that allows me to leave the lights on if I wanted to, but even with this switched they won't come on unless my car is on (however there are some very dim orange parking lights that turn on). Is this normal?

Any help is greatly appreciated.