Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo charging a 99 Legacy?

Hi all,

I am new to this site, but not new to a automotive base forum. My question is this, I have a 99 Subaru Legacy (Outback, I am confused with this Outback brand, some suggest that its a term used for the Legacy only, some said it means wagon, while I saw plenty of Impreza wagon with Outback branded), unfotunately, I am having that problem of engine vibrating at 2500 rpm, anyways, my real question is, has anyone ever try putting a turbo charger in these 2.5 engine? Does such thing exist? Is there a kit that can be purchase?

1999 Outback Sport = Impreza wagon with 2.2L engine and raised suspension/two tone body

1999 Outback = Legacy wagon with 2.5L engine and raised suspension/two tone body

As for turbocharging the 2.5l in your Legacy Outback, well....these engines don't respond well to any boost with the stock internals/gasgets. It is cheaper and far more cost effective to buy a engine and tranny from a WRX and start there...($2500 to $3500 depending on mileage). Not to push you away from this forum, but have you ever checked out NASIOC ? While people here have experience with turboing the 2.5l and such, you might find even more useful information there as there are a couple forums that address just what you are asking. Use the search function and you will find what you are most likley looking for.

Good luck and welcome :)

Kevin