Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No heat when SUPER cold outside

WJM

Ok...so the last two mornings its been about 15 out...and the car has NO HEAT even when the engine as at 'full temp' on the temp guage...along with the cold idle not going off.

After the car sits...and I warm it up again, it has heat and idles properly...but by then its closer to 30 outside, and its the middle of the day.

So...any ideas on what the problem could be? Its got a 60/40 solution of the green stuff in it.

Could try a 195 degree thermostat. This is also why you see duders with those radiator bras.... or cardboard =P I just wear mechanics gloves while driving. Not really that warm but just so you arent holding onto cold wheel and shifter. Also make sure your air circulation vent is closed to the outside air.

Could try a 195 degree thermostat. This is also why you see duders with those radiator bras.... or cardboard =P I just wear mechanics gloves while driving. Not really that warm but just so you arent holding onto cold wheel and shifter. Also make sure your air circulation vent is closed to the outside air.

if the temp guage is normal, then I'd say you have limited flow through your heater core.... with all the overheating issues with ea82T's, there's no way I'd put cardboard in front of the rad.... don't want it to run any hotter than it needs to...

my brat did that a few days ago when we were at -10ish. i guessed at the thermostat and/or the heater core. i put cardboard in front of the radiator (as best i could around the 3rd eye) and it did nothing. I have a new dealer thermostat (stock temp i think) and a new (CSF or modine) radiator in the car.. the heater struck me as fairly weak before this anyway. i'll probably tackle the heater core when it warms up outside...

WJM,

We had the exact same problem Monday on our '93 Loyale here in Toronto, Canada. Just like you, cold outside temperatures, especially with the wind chill (under 0F). I drove it all day yesterday and could bearly get any heat out of the blower in the cabin. It wasn't freezing air blowing in, but it certainly wasn't warm. More like 'cat breath' warm... good for nothin'!

When I had a chance, I checked the coolant level (low coolant level is well known in our car to cause the heater core to blow cold air) -- coolant level was perfect.

So we took it to our very trustworthy mechanic here in Markham (he's worked on all our Subarus, not a dealer) and he found it: it was the thermostat. It had probably been in there for 5+ years and I guess it was just old enough so as to open it's valve at too low a temp., and the engine never got a chance to fully warm up 'cause too much cold water was being allowed into the system from the radiator.

We've had a lot of cold days up here lately, and non of them ever caused this problem. He put in a new stock thermostat, and wholla! Problem solved.

The heater now pumps out the serious heat I've grown accustomed to expect from all our Subies, and my toes are warm once again. :) Subaru heater cores have always impressed me with the amount of heat they pump out, so I wouldn't settle for anything less than "ahhh, nice and warm!" even in the dead of winter at 0 degrees F.

Hope that helps -- get your thermostat replaced. But first, make sure your coolant level is filled up to the brim, and make sure there's no air pockets in the upper and lower rad hoses (squeeze 'em with rad cap off, and engine running -- but do it when it's cold to prevent scalding!).

Best of luck,

-badrasta

I've had decent luck, (most of the time, but not always), in reversing the heater hoses to back-flush the core. Depends on just how much crud is in core, and orintation of core in vehicle. But it's an easy try...

T-stats can fail, regardless of Brand, or age.....

Do love the heaters in these BRATs I own!! Heats up the cabin area real nice, and fast. Takes the Dodge forever to get warmed up enough to defrost the windshield. You want "heat", better wait another 15 minutes or so. Once it's warmed up, it gives pleanty of heat though.