Ultimate Subaru Message Board

platinum 4 plugs

from what i've heard the bosch platlinum plugs are bad luck. a friend of mine told me that there are cases of engine melt down cuz of bosch. i'm not sure i believe that. but i have heard from quite a few people to stay away from the bosch platlinums. just my 2 cents worth

Old school Subaru's dont seem to appreciate the Platinums. Copper plugs by NGK (stock plug) seems to work the best.

what shawn said.

the bosh platnum plugs dont have the heat ranges correct. some cars they work fine others are way off. I dont trust them any more. too much money for a plug that might be better for that car.

I also have the NGK Iriduim plugs installed, about 3k ago, no complaints and runs great. Can't really tell a difference over standard NGKs that have always worked great. Only installed the Iriduims because when I bought the Brat over 7 years ago the left back plug had been cross threaded and is a pain in the but to get threaded in correctily, I doubt I will leave them in 100k though, maybe 50k. Installed Bosch Plats several years ago and immediatily developed a miss that would not go away until I switched the Bosch plugs out w/200miles on them, also had this same problem w/ wife's former Mustang. Only time I have ever bought Bosch plugs and I will never buy another Bosch plug.

Platinum plugs are very sensative to air/fuel mixture and foul easily if the engine's running on the rich side. You should NOT run platinum in a carburated engine unless you like to spend (waste) your money! Carbs, and Bosch's CIS injection for that matter, are not precise enough to ensure a useful and reliable lifespan with platinum plugs. In my opinion, EFI is the only fuel delivery system efficient enough to make use of the longevity platinum can provide.

I, too, endorse NGK's. I've had great luck with them in my applications ranging from German, to British, to Japanese cars. Ask me and I'll tell you "Autolite and Champion are JUNK!"

Platinum plugs are very sensative to air/fuel mixture and foul easily if the engine's running on the rich side. You should NOT run platinum in a carburated engine unless you like to spend (waste) your money! Carbs, and Bosch's CIS injection for that matter, are not precise enough to ensure a useful and reliable lifespan with platinum plugs. In my opinion, EFI is the only fuel delivery system efficient enough to make use of the longevity platinum can provide.

I, too, endorse NGK's. I've had great luck with them in my applications ranging from German, to British, to Japanese cars. Ask me and I'll tell you "Autolite and Champion are JUNK!"

I agree mostly. the fouling that you may have seen is quite often due to the incorrect heat range of he bosh platnums.

regular bosh plugs in a vw/bmw/audi run really well.

basically it has become very clear to me that cars usually run best on the stock plug type.

look at the newer dodges/jeeps. they NEED to run champion plugs to run properly. they dont last long but if you try to get tricky and put a "good" plug in them they get all up set. somtimes setting codes.

I always say the country that the plugs and car were made in should be the same.

Japanese cars, use Japanese (NGK or Denso) plugs. German/European cars use German/European (Bosch) plugs. American cars use American (Motorcraft, Champion, Delco) plugs.

But you can use NGK's in anything really, coz NGK's are the best plug evAr!!!

NGK's in a Bronco! Now I've heard it all. I run Autolites in the old Bronco and in the Mustang, they seem to work great. I'm surprised people are so opposed to the Bosch platinum's here. I ran them in that wagon and they worked great, I never had any fouling problems and they smoothed it out and made a marked improvement to the NGK's I had been running. I never had any heat related problems either. In fact, we gave that car to a kid we know and he's still driving it, as far as I know those platinums are still in it.

Well, each vehicle is different. They all respond differently to different parts. Seems as though the consensus is NGKs in the Subies.. although some cars actually run good on others. For the most part, its trial and error. If your junk runs good on the Bosch parts, rock on. My junk falls in line with the others, preferring NGKs.

I guess we shouldnt say we're all opposed to them, its just most of us have tried, and failed. As I just said, each car has its own quirks. Embrace them, and run with it. :headbang: