Jump to content

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Backward Webber

  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ryanb


    Subaru Fanatic!

  • Members
  • 370 posts
  • Portland

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:43 AM

I will try and explain this...

I have an 83 gl , and i bought it used with a webber. It seems to be mounted backwards from every other webber I've seen. If you are looking at the car from the front, the throttle cable connects on the right.

So here's where i'm lost.... Most accelerator cables have a small little barrel at the end that fits into a slide off the side of the rocker on the carb.
Mine has instead an inch long post with a divit for a ball (almost like a ball joint) at the end. On the side of the carb, there is a ball. But, the post just kinda sits there, unsecure. when i got the car it had a rubber band holding it there. So, i'm curious, the whole rocker peice is gone, and i haven't seen another right mounted cable so all the rockers i find have the holder on the reverse side as i need.

***Does anybody have any idea what the peice looks like, where i can get one, or how to fab up a piece that can replace (allowing the ball to still roll, not holding it tight, but restricting it from falling off).

Please, any help is much appreciated.

#2 85Sub4WD


    EA82 Junkie

  • Members
  • 1,244 posts
  • Raleigh NC/Charlotte NC

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:49 AM

I have limited expierence with webers, but I know that some car companies (I think french) have put "backwards" Webers on their cars. Probably for some mounting reason. It has been at least 5 yrs since I messed with one and I cannot remember exactly which cars had them, or the letter codes for the "backwards" carbs. All I remember is that they exist. Just find a normal weber and save yourself the headache. (and if you ever have to change the carb, it will be much easier to find a replacement)

#3 edrach


    RIP 6/28/14

  • Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:22 AM

Most Sube webers are the DGV model; weber also makes a DFV (if I remember correctly) which is a mirror image of the DGV so the throttle cable can be mounted on the right of the carb instead of the left. The DFV is nice in a car equipped with power steering since the PS reservoir gets in the way of the electric choke of the DGV. Try www.carbsunlimited.com for throttle linkage pieces. They should be able to help you get the parts you need.

#4 Flowmastered87GL


    WCSS Drunk

  • Members
  • 6,273 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:25 AM

PM coming your way.

I have spare parts and a welder.

Worse case scenario we will need to replace your throttle cable, but I can show you the setup on my BRAT and wagon, both custom made by me.

#5 85Sub4WD


    EA82 Junkie

  • Members
  • 1,244 posts
  • Raleigh NC/Charlotte NC

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:35 PM

Yes, Edrach you are correct. I could't remember at the time. Now I remember the thought was that the F in the DFV stood for "French" because they were only found on French cars (at least as far as I know).

#6 RavenTBK


    Professional Auto Thief

  • Members
  • 661 posts
  • Apalachicola Natl Forest

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:38 PM

the DFV series is found primarily on volkswagens. Not just french cars. :drunk:

#7 Flowmastered87GL


    WCSS Drunk

  • Members
  • 6,273 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:28 AM

I heard the F was for Ford :confused:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users