Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Backward Webber

I will try and explain this...

I have an 83 gl , and i bought it used with a webber. It seems to be mounted backwards from every other webber I've seen. If you are looking at the car from the front, the throttle cable connects on the right.

So here's where i'm lost.... Most accelerator cables have a small little barrel at the end that fits into a slide off the side of the rocker on the carb.

Mine has instead an inch long post with a divit for a ball (almost like a ball joint) at the end. On the side of the carb, there is a ball. But, the post just kinda sits there, unsecure. when i got the car it had a rubber band holding it there. So, i'm curious, the whole rocker peice is gone, and i haven't seen another right mounted cable so all the rockers i find have the holder on the reverse side as i need.

***Does anybody have any idea what the peice looks like, where i can get one, or how to fab up a piece that can replace (allowing the ball to still roll, not holding it tight, but restricting it from falling off).

Please, any help is much appreciated.

I have limited expierence with webers, but I know that some car companies (I think french) have put "backwards" Webers on their cars. Probably for some mounting reason. It has been at least 5 yrs since I messed with one and I cannot remember exactly which cars had them, or the letter codes for the "backwards" carbs. All I remember is that they exist. Just find a normal weber and save yourself the headache. (and if you ever have to change the carb, it will be much easier to find a replacement)

Most Sube webers are the DGV model; weber also makes a DFV (if I remember correctly) which is a mirror image of the DGV so the throttle cable can be mounted on the right of the carb instead of the left. The DFV is nice in a car equipped with power steering since the PS reservoir gets in the way of the electric choke of the DGV. Try www.carbsunlimited.com for throttle linkage pieces. They should be able to help you get the parts you need.