Ultimate Subaru Message Board

B9 TRIBECA... and other things... discuss...

Ok... i believe subaru is taking the road to HELL right now...

first off... i know its been posted before... but what do you people think of the new B9 tribeca... brought to us subaru fans by subaru and the jerks at saab...

www.subaru.ca for details...

this car blows monkey poo... its subaru's attempt at the xuv... so basicly what they mean by that is make a taller minivan that has no sliding doors... thats what it is!!! you can't even buy it in a standard trans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if it came in standard... and it could tow more(ie. something like 5000lbs) and they got rid of the damn third row(even though its optional... i still want it GONE)then i might be happy...

But this might be a blessing for subaru... this opens up the world of larger suv's... they could easily, using there new technology from the B9, make a vihicle to compete with the toyota 4runner and nissan pathfinder... not to mention all the domestic suvs that can actually do stuff...

and now for something that really pissed me off... whats up with the CHEVY FORESTER!!!

http://www.chevrolet.co.in/content_data/AP/IN/en/GBPIN/001/BRANDSITE/index_forester.html

WHY IS SUBARU SELLING THEIR DESIGNS TO OTHER CAR COMPANIES!?!?!?!!?

its an exact dupicate of the forester... even the nice H4 engine... and the AWD technology... at least it is only sold in india...

is there an explanation for this??? or are they really being stupid???

thanks all... (sorry for my foul language!)

The B9 fills in the gap between people who don't want a minivan but need something larger than a sedan and don't want to fall into the SUV mindset. Regardless of how you feel about it, it is brilliant in its own twisted way. Subaru people now have the option not to leave the brand. If and when you have kids, you might just appreciate the B9 so don't be so quick to knock it ;)

As for the Saabaru, I will be looking for one when I enter the used vehicle market in the near future. You get more owner perks (scheduled maintenance and 4 year warranty), STi bits, a different gearbox, ect, ect...the list goes on. It's a good thing for Subaru. When you get out of highschool, you will appreciate the platform sharing because parts will be easier and cheaper to come by.

As a veteran board member, I can remember when this board didn't seem to accept Justy owners with open arms....It's not a Subaru blah blah blah blah it doesn't have a horizontal engine or 4 cylinders blah blah blah blah. Now it seems that everyone wants one.

-Kevin

I think the B9 is a great idae to expnad subarus line up so, you can aculey buy a subaru with some room in it.

"this car blows monkey poo... its subaru's attempt at the xuv... so basicly what they mean by that is make a taller minivan that has no sliding doors... thats what it is!!! you can't even buy it in a standard trans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" by Zefy

Frankley thats what all subarus suvs are, the outback is based off the legacy with basicley jsut some diffrent springs and struts, the forester off the impreza with a diffrent body and springs and struts, the b9 is just another car like lifted like other sube vehicles i see nothing wrong with that becasue the new forester and out back aculley have decent off road abilities at least msore than 99.9% of the owners will need. Also GM cant do what ever they wnat with subaru they only own 20%, subaru gave saab the ability to buy WRXs with diffrent parts. Iam sure that GM had a part in it since they own saab but if subaru dident want to do it they wouldent of. All ther doing is tring to earn more money.

When you get out of highschool, you will appreciate the platform sharing because parts will be easier and cheaper to come by.

-Kevin

Hey buddy, I'm not in high school. And I appriciate platform sharing when it accomplishes something. This has done absolutly nothing for subaru, SAAB is getting all the benifits while subaru just gets to sell more imprezas. There is nothing going on to better the subaru brand, sorry.

think as the 92x as theluxury wrx, its a rather nice car to be honest. i was just looking at some tonight when i went to the dealer with my friend (he drives a chevy s-10).

to be honest, i cant wait till the b9 roadster comes out,even if it is a hybrid. just imagine a awd roadster with the sti engine and drivetrain.its gunna be hot.

was I the only one who noticed some of the standard features on the chevy forester: I picked up on 2 things.... a self leveling rear suspension and a LOW RANGE.

As for the Saabaru issue....I giggle everytime I see one...."congratulations....you just paid too much for a Subaru" I once heckeled a guy in a parking lot.... and point and laugh at them on the highway.... and they always just look at my subaru (new impreza thank you) and wonder...."wonder what he paid"

Hey Saabhole...nice subaru is one of my favorite lines....

BTW, I have always embraced the justys....so don't put me into that BS about not liking the justys.

A subaru is a subaru no matter what it is....but a saabaru is just an overpriced impreza. :banana:

Matt

kevinsUBARUThe B9 fills in the gap between people who don't want a minivan but need something larger than a sedan and don't want to fall into the SUV mindset. Regardless of how you feel about it, it is brilliant in its own twisted way. Subaru people now have the option not to leave the brand. If and when you have kids, you might just appreciate the B9 so don't be so quick to knock it ;)

for me... when i have kids( in my mind at the moment... never... but i am sure my mind will change sometime) i wouldn't want more then 2... if anymore, i believe i would go nuts... as per my adventures working in a daycare for less than minimum wage...

and plus, since the average family will only have 1-2 kids a forester(or better yet an outback... due to its slightly larger size) would serve the average person... and if the person is worried about space for the family yet the outback or legasy is plenty large, why would you go for the H6(except just to say, "hey look at MY H6!")... more engine, less fuel economy and you can't really do anything special with the H6 in that frame(or lack of) anyway...

i just wish that the people from subaru would go back and look at the way suv's were built from 10-15 years ago... when the suv was indeed an suv... the time when you could only buy the toyota 4runner with a standard trans... and now its just the other way around!

i am almost done my rant... but ;ast question for you ppl... how many people like the name? i know it stands for something important... but it sound like something kia would come up with...

good day,

for me... when i have kids( in my mind at the moment... never... but i am sure my mind will change sometime) i wouldn't want more then 2... if anymore, i believe i would go nuts... as per my adventures working in a daycare for less than minimum wage...

and plus, since the average family will only have 1-2 kids a forester(or better yet an outback... due to its slightly larger size) would serve the average person... and if the person is worried about space for the family yet the outback or legasy is plenty large, why would you go for the H6(except just to say, "hey look at MY H6!")... more engine, less fuel economy and you can't really do anything special with the H6 in that frame(or lack of) anyway...

When you have kids (even one) there is also the aspect of hualing everyone elses kids around as well ("Soccer Moms" comes from this frequent event), to save on fuel and emmissions in the long run. Because of this, you will have need to carry more than just your one or two kids at any one time. That is the reason for the need for more seating in the B9. I, for one, am looking forward to seeing the B9 in a showroom. It will be some time before I can afford a new Subaru of any type, so I'm hoping that I will be able to get one of these used. . . THat will be a while, though. For those whose main complaint is that the B9 is ugly, I have a simple reminder: Subaru has a 5 year cycle where they change the appearance (sometimes drasticly), and I'm certain that the "looks" of the Tribeca is a temporary thing at best. . .

I don't have a problem with the concept, it's the execution that I think was flawed. That thing is just ugly and goofy looking - worse than a minivan, IMO. Too round and bulbous, too many "cute" features that serve no purpose or are actually counterproductive (like the gigantic, Murano-type D-pillar.)

What they should have done was just made a larger Forester. Keep the distinctively Subaru lines of the beast, but bigger and wider with the 3rd row seat. Basically what Honda did with the CR/V - Pilot and Mitsubishi did with the Endeavor - Outlander. In both cases, the "mini" and the "midi" SUV share a strong familial resemblance.

I don't know how committed Subaru is to this thing, but I can't see very many of them being sold here. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

I saw it out at the LA auto show. I wasn't all that impressed. Here are the pictures I took that turned out alright and I saved:

SubaruB92.jpg

SubaruB91.jpg

I have a bunch of other pictures from the show in this folder if anyone wants to check them out.

As far as the 9-2x goes, I really don't have a problem with it. I figured there would be plenty of older guys who didn't want the boy-racer image the WRX has been getting buy them.

As an "older guy" (thank you Jamal) that I'm sure fits right smack in the middle of the demographic target market for this vehicle. I can offer a one word response ...

Bleeeeeccccchhhhhh!

Actually, on second thought, I'm probably in the secondary demographic profile ... somewhere behind the soccermom contingent.

Why, oh why do they keep designing cars that look like running shoes?

As an "older guy" (thank you Jamal) that I'm sure fits right smack in the middle of the demographic target market for this vehicle. I can offer a one word response ...

Bleeeeeccccchhhhhh!

My wife and I are the target market for these things. Late 30's/early 40's, two kids (11 and 15), two cats, a dog, elderly grandparents, all our friends and siblings have kids. Wife "upgraded" her Volvo 245 to a Montana minivan.

Besides being ugly, the B9 and similar vehicles have a major problem for us: the rear seat is small, difficult to get to, and there is no cargo room. We looked at the Chrysler Pacifica, a similar conept (but not as ugly), it has the same problems.

The boxy minivan with sliding doors is the best configuration for us. All of the seats can fit real-sized people, are easy to get to, and we can fit a fair amount of stuff behind the third row. With the seats out, we can fit full-size sheets of plywood in the back. We didn't get AWD (blew the budget), but a set of 4 Blizzaks make it good in the snow.

You can get wagons (Volvo, Audi, probably others) with rear-facing third seats, but they are sized for pre-schoolers. When the seats are full of kids, there is no room for their stuff.

For a SUV/mini-van cross, the new Pontiac Montana SV6 is better idea. They took the minivan and made it look more like an SUV, instead of shoving a third seat into a small/medium size SUV.

As for the Saabaru, I will be looking for one when I enter the used vehicle market in the near future. You get more owner perks (scheduled maintenance and 4 year warranty), STi bits, a different gearbox, ect, ect...

-Kevin

Umm no, the differences between the Impreza wagon and the 92x is sheetmetal and luxo. perks. It won't matter if GM keeps thinking along these lines though:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6811980/

I refuse to comment on on the B9 beyond saying that anything GM touches in the last 10 years turns out rotten in the end. And you can see the GM influence all over that thing. It's a sad day for the Chevy and Subaru man that I am.

There's two problems with the new B9X, one hasn't been addressed yet:

1) That thing is hideous. I hate the new grill. I'm actually pondering signing my life away next year on an 06 Legacy GT, because I think 06 will be the last year before they bastardize the Legacy with that new grill.

2) It's waaaay too expensive. If my memory serves me correctly, it's starting at like $36k and goes up to $45k. The idea of putting previous Subaru owners in a bigger vehicle to preserve brand loyalty is a good economical decision. To put the price of said vehicle waaay out of the typical Subaru owner's budget is a stupid economical decision.

2) It's waaaay too expensive. If my memory serves me correctly, it's starting at like $36k and goes up to $45k. The idea of putting previous Subaru owners in a bigger vehicle to preserve brand loyalty is a good economical decision. To put the price of said vehicle waaay out of the typical Subaru owner's budget is a stupid economical decision.

$36k? You have GOT to be kidding! :banghead: What were they thinking? That's only about $4k less than either the BMW X3 or the VW Touareg, both of which are better looking and bigger, and the VW even has a low range (i.e., it's a true off-road vehicle.) I believe that also puts it in the same neighborhood as the Volvo XC-90. Of course, the VW, Volvo and BMW don't have 3rd row seats, but I can't help but wonder if they're putting all their marketing eggs in one basket (assuming that the 3rd row seat will overcome all the other objectionable features.)

I feel like a lot of the first models of subarus seem ugly at forst and fit their way in. I remember when the 02 WRX came out and the washington post auto writer loved the car but riped apart the way it looked...the SVX...umm....not exactly pretty...when the out back first came out in almost 10 years ago there wasn't much like it and I'm just it got funny looks. I've always said subarus are ugly in a good way. Now i'm not exactly sure i still think this is ugly in a GOOD way but oh well. What upsets me more and more about Subaru is I feel they used to be a poor mans volvo but funner with 4wd, they used to be affordable 4wd cars. It seems like with the 05 outback they were compeating with volvo and almost as expensive. I'd take an 04 outback over an 05 anyday, i like the rugged look much better then the "pretty look" which seems like it where they are headed. I also am not a fan of all the standard features on the B9 if you got rid of standard power everything they could probably sell it in the mid $20,000 range. oh well I'm done with my rant.....for now....