Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can it be done(N/A block mated to a Turbo)

After reading how to change from a carb to FI, it made me think...( to much knowledge can create problems)..I am seeking to know from experience if anyone has successfully used a N/A block mated to a turbo...my 86 4x4 wagen/ carb/ has a new motor in it with about 165psi , but now that I am driving an 86 turbo I have become rather spoiled to the way FI works...the turbo motor works excellent etc, but the body is rusting away..I was thinking to swap all the FI parts together with new turbo heads into the wagen using the N/A block...with turbo block when new had about 148psi...what possible problems could I experience by increasing the cyl. pressure... I don't drive the car hard and would only be used in most cases for highway driving...are there any mods that might have to be done, for example, how to deal with the extra crankcase pressure, since the FI needs sealed air circulation to make it run smoothly...any input would be appreciated...Thanks

yes you can build a carb short block with turbo top end. the rx developed a rod knock, so we swapped the 135,000 mi carb block leftover from robert's wagon. the only modifications were ported heads, but these were heads with cracks between the valves, too

anyway we had no problems running 5500 miles west and back, stock timing and 87 gas.

anyway here's pictures of ours

www.warpthree.com/milesfox/87rx/rxbuild

I put a Carbed Block under My RX Turbo heads.....

I ran 3 Rally Cross Races on it as well as Many Hwy miles.....No issues.....Only thing I had go wrong was a Tensioner Pully siezed on the driver side due to old age, and Melted the T-belt....

Run stock bost pressure anything more is Going to kill the life on the Engine greatly.....

You'll find you don't need more than stock boost though.... :eek:

I was able to pull 1-3 gears in 4WD sideways...... :slobber:

on Pavement....

I just Sold that car, and Will be building another like it this Spring if I get time..... :confused:

Later, John

A good friend of mine blew the head gaskets the first time he tried to rev a carb block w/turbo top end. At the very least, use turbo head gaskets (I don't know if he did) and copper if possible. I do not know if the engine itself can stand up to the pressure; but it would be neat if it did. Mudrat is right, use stock boost at max.

as far as o.e or napa head gaskets, the turbo and n/a are the same part, design

the only difference you will find between ea82 head gaskets is by the different manufacturers' material and quality

OE is the ONLY way to go for the turbo engines tho. NAPA ones will work fine for NA, but they WILL NOT hold up longer than 17k miles in a turbo EA82.