Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear bearings out at 19K on 03 OBW

Found out this week that the source of the grinding noise came from the rear bearings. Dealer replaced both of them under warranty. I am told that water had gotten into the bearings and there was a lot of rust around the area. I am puzzled by water getting into the bearings and since there is only 19K on the car, it seems a little premature for the bearings to fail. I am not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem. My last subie had 150K on the orignal set of bearings.

I am wondering if I should have the fronts checked out too and how would I go about getting the dealer to do it if there is no noise? The car has not been in any accident or bumped a curb or any serious off roading. With daily driving and the occasional long trips, I certainly wouldn't expect bearings to fail this early.

danz

When I replaced a rear bearing, the outer seal was shot. Ground away by rust on the half shaft. Rust can happen fast, even faster with dragging or frequently used brakes that generate a little heat. I can see how water, even just spray can get in.

19K sounds way to early, but it was fixed. If you don't have any noise, the fronts are probably OK, but you can crawl under and take a look at the seals.