Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello from Ohio - new ru

Hello, just signed up, hoping to get my first subaru tomorrow or friday (if the guy ever gets off his a$$ and gets around to it, lol. Its an 85 GL hatchback, unfortunately its a 2wd with an automatic, but its a start :]

I've been reading these forums for a couple days and this looks like a great place. I should probably apologize for all the stupid questions I'm going to ask and the even more stupid ideas I'm going to come up with :] LOL

Vincent

welcome , i am only a couple hours south of you , and you are pretty close to miles fox, there are a few more, alleyboy in columbus, ohio, tom in hillsdale mi, i have 3 subaru's , 2 wagons, 1- 3 door, in the spring we are meeting in columbus for a meet , and going junking in a few yards which has alot of good subaru parts, ,

welcome , i am only a couple hours south of you , and you are pretty close to miles fox, there are a few more, alleyboy in columbus, ohio, tom in hillsdale mi, i have 3 subaru's , 2 wagons, 1- 3 door, in the spring we are meeting in columbus for a meet , and going junking in a few yards which has alot of good subaru parts, ,

which junk yards??? these things are always good to know :]

what i was saying is miles fox may have put a a/t into it , because the tranny was bad, and i gave miles the tranny which i got out of a sedan, you could always put 4wd into it , without to much $$ , this spring i am going to put either a s/r or d/r into my 3 door , i have both tranny's and rear stuff, only thing i would need is the rear disc

what i was saying is miles fox may have put a a/t into it , because the tranny was bad, and i gave miles the tranny which i got out of a sedan, you could always put 4wd into it , without to much $$ , this spring i am going to put either a s/r or d/r into my 3 door , i have both tranny's and rear stuff, only thing i would need is the rear disc
then there is the option of fixing up the 2wd I'm getting and sell it , then try to get one thats already 4wd

yeah you could turn it into 4wd with not a lot of $$$ just have the right parts, you could even put motors from later models in. i think it would be nmore interesting as a project car that can be built up as much or a little more than one that is already 4wd.

chances are it may be hard to find a 4wd, so a 2wd subaru is better than no subaru!!

my car i have now i got as a body and i put it together with parts i already had. if you need a part get ahold of me, alleyboy, or 86subaru

we meet quite often, between sidney oh and columbus.

i see you are from hicksville? did you get the HATCH from jons auto and truck? if you did thats the one i fixed with jim's tranny. that car has an EA81 motor, which came with 4wd and 2wd generally got ea71. bonus points there!

do you know the guy with the justy?

we meet quite often, between sidney oh and columbus.

Miles, Intersting you would mention Sidney, Ohio. The AMC club I belong to was invited a few years ago to tour the publishing facility of 'Cars and Parts' magazine (best mag for these doing older restorations, and not just domestic stuff) there. Nice little town. Last year our club was invited to an AMC car show in West Manchester, Ohio (2 exits east of the Indiana line off I-70) BP and BurgerKing on the NE corner of interchange (I never forget a burger place!)I think it was Ohio RT 127, anyway on the west side of 127 there was a Brat parked in a driveway and my friends in the club all knew about my 'RU addiction, so when we met at the car show (we got separated on the way down by an accident on I-70, none of us involved) everyone commented that they were thinking about me. On the way back I passed a Subaru dealership just off I-270 north of Columbus and on the front line facing the interstate was a STI (Oh yea, my AMC wasn't ready for the show that day so I drove my '98 25RS) and I couldn't pass up stopping in for a look-see. The salesperson let me drive it around the parking lot (it was 5pm on a Saturday) and then asked me just what it would take to put me in it right then and there. She didn't like my answer, laughed and walked away. Here was my answer...My 2.5RS is kind of special (made on the morning of the first day of regular production June-97) and is unmolested except for the gold 555 decals which I personally traced off the '97 Pro Rally car that was at the Cleveland New Car Auto show in March of 1998 and had a local sign co. put in his 'puter for me, I said an even trade sounded good to me. ALLWAYS WANTED TO SAY THAT:grin: Maybe I could meet up with you guys some day................................. Gary 'The Mix' in Cleveland

i see you are from hicksville? did you get the HATCH from jons auto and truck? if you did thats the one i fixed with jim's tranny. that car has an EA81 motor, which came with 4wd and 2wd generally got ea71. bonus points there!

do you know the guy with the justy?

I dont know anyone with a justy. I dont have the hatch today, I'm hoping to get it today, worked out a trade with the guy thats got it, the sube plus some cash for my current car, waiting for him to come up with the cash, he did get it from jons though. white 85, lots of rust, no rocker panels, blue interior.

anything I need to know about that car before I get it?

i am not a ea 81 guy, which means i do not have any all mine are ea82 motors, i sold my brat, now tom from hillsdale mi can help you, well a tune up, good wires, ngk plugs, air filter , take some sea foam and pour it down the carb , it works great,change both fuel filters,

i am not a ea 81 guy, which means i do not have any all mine are ea82 motors, i sold my brat, now tom from hillsdale mi can help you, well a tune up, good wires, ngk plugs, air filter , take some sea foam and pour it down the carb , it works great,change both fuel filters,
thanks for the suggestions 86. i was asking about that particular car though, since Fox has worked on it, he might know some things that are wrong with it that I should know before I get it, things the current owner may not be telling me

hey man, that car is rock solid. you are lucky it has NO carb problems, i like a carb with no problems! the exhaust has been welded up that i have seen myself, its solid and wont fall off. although i would suggest upgrading to an ea82 y pipe and some 2 inch after the flange.

the gate in back, if you pop the lever it might not open, as if you close the front door the vibration will latch it again. pull the lever, then open the gate before you close the door.

also this car has the bigger ea81 motor rather than the ea71. so this one is the GL and not the std hatch.

the tranny me and danny put in ourselves, its out of an ea82, came from a gl-10 sedan that jim from ohio had used once in a turbo XT, and its rock solid. we did have to fabricate a rear mount for it, though

if for any reason you want to ditch the auto, i have a complete 5spd 2wd

jon had offered the car to me one time ago, and if i had the cash it would have been mine. there are a few rust spodt on the body of the car, but its not so bad you wouldnt want to fix it. one project idea i had for the car wa an ej22 motor and 4spd 2wd AT, to use with ea82 front suspension, turbo axles, and my modified crossmember to acommodate the ea82 parts

jon had this car before, sold it, then bough it back from whom he sold it to, and now sold it again. jon liked the car for his daily driver, it and the datsun 610 wagon he has there.

maybe if you want some better seats we can find some for you, you can modify ea82 seats to fit. i may be parting out my 86 sedan so let me know if you want anything.

also leftover in BUTLER at the carbola i have a 4wd rear suspension and a 4wd hatch gas tank(you will have to swap out for the rear diff) i dont have a diff or axles, but you can swap in the 4wd rear uspension and keep running 2wd till you find the rest of the parts

we have been hitting up the junkyards in columbus, so maybe you might have us get things for you, or just come with us!!!

i used to live in butler but i got out of there and moved to fort wayne

good luck with the car, you found a jewel in the rough, especially around these parts. a rough suabru is better than NO subaru:)

glad to hear your vote of confidence :] I was SUPPOSED to get it this morning, but now we're shooting for tomorrow morning :[ I could have had it any time this week except for we arent making an even trade, he's giving me cash too. I might be interested in that 5 speed if I can find a pedal box and clutch cable, clutch , flywheel, pressure plate, shifter, and all that nifty stuff. The auto trans is actually my biggest complaint about the car. Jim may want his tranny back too, he told me to hold on to it :] Jim also sent me a link to a wagon on ebay in indy, really cheap and the guy will deliver for a reasonable price, SO, if the guy comes through with my money before that auction and if noone bids on it, then I should only need to find a drive shaft.

Funny thing about the exhaust, it fell off. The guy SAYS "a sheet of ice flew off of a semi and I drove over it and it tore the exhaust off" at least he went back and picked the exhaust up, LOL

ummm whats a carbola?

the "complete" 5spd i was talking about, i actually mean a whole car that runs and drives, missing the throttle cable. i plan to keep the motor and part the rest, doors, fenders, its an ea82 body. all the ea82 stuff i have is at the carbola. the carbola is the quanset hut on depot street in BUTLER, maintenance on wheels cleaning company is in the building, its by the recycle dumpsters in butler.

as far as the 86 sedan i have for parts, will include the flywheel/clutch assembly, but it will need a newer clutch disc. also you will have to get bolts for the flywheel to fit the ea81 thread, you can find them at a hardware store something like m10x1.00 threads i do believe. the holes on the flywheel will be bigger than the bolts for the ea81 motor, but the flywheel wil still center on the crank snout, and the torque will hold. the timing marks will be of different alignment, so you will want to scribe your own TDC mark. the parts ar has a complete carb ea82 motor as well, and an ea82 will fit under the hood the same. my parts car has indiana title. hell the whole car is good except for the windshield being cracked. i dont have room for the car otherwise i would fix it, maybe make it 4wd 5spd, i have all the parts minus a rear diff.

as far as the indy parts car, or if you maybe were interested in mine, i have a TOWBAR that has been modified to fit on the EA82 body tow hooks, if you have a vehicle with a trailer you are welcome to use my subar specific tow bar. i also have 4wd sedan converted from 2wd AT in coldwater michigan. i would offer my parts car for the favor of transporting the sedan from mi!

anyway i left my phone number on your private message, please reply to it!

My turn to say Welcome.

The Fox and I have gotten together a few times, and I've made it to Jim's a couple of times. Need to get back down to Jim's and soon. Need to get the BRAT home. Just need to get it done between snow storms. :)

When you get to the point of wanting to put the 4WD conversion into your Hatch let me know. I have a complete rear suspension unit with diff, sitting here. Came out of the '86 BRAT I had to scrap. It'll need some mount point repair, due to rust, but is good otherwise. Have the driveshaft here too. I have a D/R 4 speed here if your interested, but you'd be happier with the D/R 5 speed. Got a few other items laying around that you may be in need of further down the road. Don't have alot of "extra" parts, but I do have some.