Ultimate Subaru Message Board

speedometer cable on a gl

I had to lube mine recently. It is actually (in my book) easy to get to. I assume it is carbed as it is an '85 non turbo 4x4. If it is manual transmission, it is located on the rt side of the tranny. It is easiest to access it by removing the spare tire and go in from the top. Be careful because the retainer for it is plastic and can be easily cross-threaded. I am not being more detailed because it is the only thing comming out of the right side of the tranny, save low range shift linkage. I think on automatics it is located on the top center, but I can't remember off the top of my head, as mine is a manual.

You should be able to pull it through the tranny side. Spray some silicone lubricant on it and down the tube, then smother it in grease (the lithium black/grey stuff) and feed it back in slowly and turning it. If it does not go in all the way, keep rotating it and eventually it will mesh with the speedo. Once it does just reinstall everything. If you are still having probs, then it is your speedo itself.

I had to lube mine recently. It is actually (in my book) easy to get to. I assume it is carbed as it is an '85 non turbo 4x4. If it is manual transmission, it is located on the rt side of the tranny. It is easiest to access it by removing the spare tire and go in from the top. Be careful because the retainer for it is plastic and can be easily cross-threaded. I am not being more detailed because it is the only thing comming out of the right side of the tranny, save low range shift linkage. I think on automatics it is located on the top center, but I can't remember off the top of my head, as mine is a manual.

You should be able to pull it through the tranny side. Spray some silicone lubricant on it and down the tube, then smother it in grease (the lithium black/grey stuff) and feed it back in slowly and turning it. If it does not go in all the way, keep rotating it and eventually it will mesh with the speedo. Once it does just reinstall everything. If you are still having probs, then it is your speedo itself.

Hmm.. I have a sort of similar problem. My odometer works fine, as does the trip meter, but the speedo doesn't. The prior owner took the time to come up with a chart that he pasted on the dash over the speedo. It shows RPM's vs Speed for 3rd and 4th. gears. I think it's fairly acurate, but I'd like to know what the fix is.

The I/P individual components and all come apart REAL easy; just pull your I/P and speedo and spray the working part w/ WD-40 or a silicone spray. Then it should work just like new. (unless the return spring is broken). And yes, marking the tach w/ speeds in difft gears works - but ONLY with a manual, automatics have a Torque Converter that allows some slack.