Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

High Idle RPM in Cold

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 soobscript

soobscript

needs more time

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • Columbus, OH

Posted 20 January 2005 - 08:55 PM

88 RX - EA82T
When started, rpms jump to 2000-2200 rpm. They then drop down to ab out 1500 after a few minutes. A few minutes later they are "normal." Will not kick down with throttle push (my dad's 91 Loyale will kick down). I have not had the car long enough to know if this happens in warm weather also. I always let it warm up for about 10 mins before driving.
I'm irritated by the long warm-up, but I'm most worried about the high initial rpms/lack of oil to top end causing excessive wear. I have about 5K miles on it. Oil change to Mobil 1 + filter after I got it. Added a bottle of Restore. Going to switch to a syn blend (Max-Life prolly) at next change because of extreme consumption until I can rebuild to fix (hopefully it's just a head gasket).

What can I do to lower the idle?

What weight should I use for winter temps? I have 5W-30 in it now going by Haynes temp. graphic, but the Chilton I got says to use heavier for high speed. I drive mostly highway. (Haynes may not have been for turbos?)

#2 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 20 January 2005 - 09:20 PM

well considerign you are in ohio, I'd run 15W40 with a quart of MMO.. but thats just me..

I'm in alaska, and its been -50 F on and off for about a week and I run 5w30 no problems

whats the temps dipping to at night down there.. if its not gettin colder then 20 F you can still run 10w30. if its getting colder then that run 5w30 or mobil 0w30 but the mobil is like 7 bucks a quart.

#3 4WDFrenzy

4WDFrenzy

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 10:20 PM

I own a GL-10 Wagon w/ EA82T, and I understand what you are going through with cold weather warm-ups. The only thing that I can think of to lower the idle is block of the throttle air bypass, which is located on the top of the thermostat housing. That is the only way I can foresee to remedy the idle. Only problem with doing this is, that it will take longer to warm up than it currently does.

As for the oil, I use Kendall brand 10W30 in the winter, and Kendall 10W40 in the summer. I hope this helps.

#4 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:16 PM

Unfortuntely, like it or not, its supposed to do that.

Like patrick said though, you could disable the Auxiliary air valve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users