Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Where do you buy a Hitachi carb?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 subieman

subieman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,422 posts
  • Sparks, NV

Posted 20 January 2005 - 09:42 PM

I'm in the market for a rebuilt Hitachi carb for my 84 wagon. Roo-Builders I heard is good... anyone else have an opinion?

#2 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 20 January 2005 - 09:44 PM

I'd try ccrinc in Denver; I believe they rebuild the Hitachi's.

#3 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,398 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 20 January 2005 - 09:44 PM

buy a kit and pay attention to what you are doing.....it is not that hard as long as you lay out your parts in a clean environment and finish in the same day you start...the key is to clean clean clean.and to pay attention to what you are doing.i guess that would be keys......

#4 BobBrumby

BobBrumby

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 20 January 2005 - 09:49 PM

urm yeh but dont think its easy to rebuild one, i have heard of ppl rebuilding them like 3 times b4 they get it right. They seem to be a bit tempremental.

#5 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 20 January 2005 - 10:00 PM

So your little carb advetures didnt work out?

-Brian

#6 subieman

subieman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,422 posts
  • Sparks, NV

Posted 20 January 2005 - 10:04 PM

I already tried to rebuild the carb myself. I put it back together and installed in on the car today and it's still running like crap. I took my wagon to the local mechanic and he said these old carbs start to break down over the years and it's best to just replace it. He wanted $650... so I figured I can do it myself.

#7 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,398 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 20 January 2005 - 10:15 PM

i guess i have just been lucky all 10 times i have done it.the first one i did was not a hitachi,yet it still went alright.i have rebuilt three hitachi's in the past six months and the only trouble i have had with them is figuring out where to start with the fuel to air ratio.then i looked it up and found that it was like most other carbs i have ran acrossed.two turns out after lightly seated.i am no pro that is for sure.that is just what i have experienced.....thanks, brian

#8 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 20 January 2005 - 10:16 PM

A rebuilt one will cost alot, but not $650. Dunno where to go, dave got one from Roobuilders i think.

-Brian

#9 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 20 January 2005 - 11:09 PM

For $650 you can buy TWO webers!:)

#10 BobBrumby

BobBrumby

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 20 January 2005 - 11:12 PM

yeh you might want to consider a webber if your looking for a bit more power but if u live in Cali or another 'nazi' emmission state i dont think they will let you

#11 subieman

subieman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,422 posts
  • Sparks, NV

Posted 20 January 2005 - 11:13 PM

yeh you might want to consider a webber if your looking for a bit more power but if u live in Cali or another 'nazi' emmission state i dont think they will let you

Yes I live in where I have smog testing, unless I would go webber.

#12 NV Zeno

NV Zeno

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,036 posts
  • Ponderosa Ranch, Nevada

Posted 20 January 2005 - 11:16 PM

I got one from Roo-Builders a couple of years ago, and shop owner Kerry was very helpful when I had questions after install. I believe the price was around 200 or 300 bucks. Highly recommended.

Roo-Builders can be contacted through CCREngines.com, they share the same building, and there's a link from CCR's website.

IIRC, Fred at Independent once told me they get carbs from RECARBCO, in or near Oakland.

#13 Alex C

Alex C

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Ashland

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:43 AM

dont, I repeat dont get a hitachi rebuilt by holly. I bought one ($400) through napa many years ago and it was junk, i had to send it back to holley as it was dumping gas out of the butterfly. They actually lost track of it for a while and finally sent it back rebuilt, again. I had to pay shipping for a warranty repair. I tried using it but by the time the 90 days was up it was running quite badly, so i bought one off a local guy that had salvaged it off a motor that stuck a rod through the block. I cleaned off the oil and soot, threw it on, and it ran really well.

I recently pulled the holly rebuilt one apart, very shoddy work.

anyway, my two cents.

Alex

P.S. the dealers can still get new ones, but they are a grand.

#14 s'ko

s'ko

RIP

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:02 PM

the dealers can still get new ones, but they are a grand.

Hehehehe 1000, how many old soobs can you buy with that? I figure two or so with lots of other spare parts.
Gotta love the stealer ship..

#15 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 26 January 2005 - 01:29 PM

"recarbco" ...search with google..they remanuf..not just rebuild...and ready to pass emissions...more expensive, but you get what you pay for

#16 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,930 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 26 January 2005 - 06:37 PM

Another vote for Kerry at Roobuilders here. Ive met him and he does great work.

#17 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 26 January 2005 - 06:49 PM

Roo Builders, or SPFI CONVERSION!

#18 85Sub4WD

85Sub4WD

EA82 Junkie

• Members
  • 1,244 posts
  • Raleigh NC/Charlotte NC

Posted 26 January 2005 - 08:48 PM

The reason I did an SPFI conversion is that my parts cost was $160 and installing it was far less aggrivating than rebuilding the Hitachi.
I tried at LEAST 5 times and could not get the Hitachi right. :banghead:
Not that I don't have carb expierence, I've done Webers and Holleys with no problem at all and countless lawnmower carbs, but I couldn't get a blasted Hitachi to work!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users