Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where do you buy a Hitachi carb?

buy a kit and pay attention to what you are doing.....it is not that hard as long as you lay out your parts in a clean environment and finish in the same day you start...the key is to clean clean clean.and to pay attention to what you are doing.i guess that would be keys......

I already tried to rebuild the carb myself. I put it back together and installed in on the car today and it's still running like crap. I took my wagon to the local mechanic and he said these old carbs start to break down over the years and it's best to just replace it. He wanted $650... so I figured I can do it myself.

i guess i have just been lucky all 10 times i have done it.the first one i did was not a hitachi,yet it still went alright.i have rebuilt three hitachi's in the past six months and the only trouble i have had with them is figuring out where to start with the fuel to air ratio.then i looked it up and found that it was like most other carbs i have ran acrossed.two turns out after lightly seated.i am no pro that is for sure.that is just what i have experienced.....thanks, brian

I got one from Roo-Builders a couple of years ago, and shop owner Kerry was very helpful when I had questions after install. I believe the price was around 200 or 300 bucks. Highly recommended.

Roo-Builders can be contacted through CCREngines.com, they share the same building, and there's a link from CCR's website.

IIRC, Fred at Independent once told me they get carbs from RECARBCO, in or near Oakland.

dont, I repeat dont get a hitachi rebuilt by holly. I bought one ($400) through napa many years ago and it was junk, i had to send it back to holley as it was dumping gas out of the butterfly. They actually lost track of it for a while and finally sent it back rebuilt, again. I had to pay shipping for a warranty repair. I tried using it but by the time the 90 days was up it was running quite badly, so i bought one off a local guy that had salvaged it off a motor that stuck a rod through the block. I cleaned off the oil and soot, threw it on, and it ran really well.

I recently pulled the holly rebuilt one apart, very shoddy work.

anyway, my two cents.

Alex

P.S. the dealers can still get new ones, but they are a grand.

The reason I did an SPFI conversion is that my parts cost was $160 and installing it was far less aggrivating than rebuilding the Hitachi.

I tried at LEAST 5 times and could not get the Hitachi right. :banghead:

Not that I don't have carb expierence, I've done Webers and Holleys with no problem at all and countless lawnmower carbs, but I couldn't get a blasted Hitachi to work!!!!