Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hill holder clutch in 83 gl wagon?

i am not sure, but is it possible i have one in mine? I parked on a steep incline and had the clutch and brake applied fully, and the car in neutral. When i took my foot off the brake, the car would not move any where at all {and i was on a steep incline} . My main concern is how to correctly release it, it seems that all my front wheels are locked up, and i had to frantically push on the brakes to make the car roll backwards. Is there an easier, more suitable way?

If your on an incline, and you have the brake pushed in all the way, keep your foot on the clutch and it will hold the pressure in the line without your brakes on. In order to release it, just let up off of the clutch. Next time, leave the car in nutral and engage the hill holder. Then without your foot on the brakes, just let off of the clutch and it should release the pressure and the car will roll backwards.

Do not do that if there's a car behind you :)

Also. The hill holder only works if the front of your car is pointed uphill. It will not work to keep your car from rolling downhill face first :)

-Brian