Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all,

I have a 90 legacy 2.2 automatic. I am wanting to install a starter switch, and here is how I Want to do it. My Neutral safety switch is finicky, so sometimes the car wont start. I want to bypass the switch and connect a starter button with one lead coming from the + battery terminal on the starter and the other coming from the neutral safety lead from the starter.

So, do I need to add an in line relay or fuse? Will I put it on the battery + or neutral safety wire?

I would love some help for this. My mechanic said the contacts were bad. I told him I replaced them 6 months ago and then he said I had put them in backwards!!! Gimme a break! He put new contacts in and guess what, my car still has starting problems! DUH! I told him that the NSS was giving low to zero voltage when trying to start, but guess he just couldn't deal with it.

Anyway, please reply if you can help me with this bypass install.

thanks,

Rich

If you know the NSS is bad I guess there is a logical reason why you don't just replace the NSS but you don't state why. Are you sure the ignition switch is not really the problem with this? I don't like doing modifications like this but that's me.

To bypass the switch just tie each end of the NSS to another switch you want to add. When you close the new switch you will bypass the NSS. There is no reason to add a starter button unless there is a problem with the ignition switch wiring. Just start the engine like you normally would by turning the key.

Well, I didn't change the switch myself because they run $120 and I dont have the tools or garage to get to the thing.

I am having a by-pass put in place by the dealer. I called and discussed the matter with them and things are looking up!

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

I finally have my starter swith installed!

I had a second wire added to the neutral safety switch connector thru the firewall into the cabin. Then the other wire from battery positive from inside the cabin. The switch is a heavy duty starter switch from a tractor. No more being stranded!!!

My key will start about 7.5 times out of 10, but those other 2.5 times, that button is priceless.

Just wanted to update everyone.

Rich

This is an interesting thread. I assume you have to have the ignition in the "on" position to start the car (otherwise there's no point to having a key anymore). Do you have pictures? I am just curious, this sounds like a funky trick mod you could do to amaze and astound your friends! The amazing self-starting car! :brow:

ScoobySchmitty:banana: