Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RX Rear Struts...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:05 AM

...dont exist anymore.

the REAL RX number supercedes to a number...that fits everything else and its WEAK AS HELL.

So....im working on a solution...as I seriously need some REAL RX units.

#2 4WDFrenzy

4WDFrenzy

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:28 AM

Do RX's have a different suspension than the others? I'm just asking because I have never had the luxury to see an RX in person. If it had the same setup as a GL-10, KYB makes both front and rear replacements(I saw them on good ol' eBaymotors). If I remember right, they were about $15-20 more than the average replacement strut(Gabriel) around here.

#3 All_talk

All_talk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • Thorp (Ellensburg)

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:48 PM

Yep the RX has stiffer springs and struts. Where is the chart... there it is.

Posted Image

The RX struts are the stiffest offered on any EA series car, in fact they average over twice as stiff.

Gary

#4 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 01:43 PM

where did you get that one? the one i have does not have XT6 stuff on it...

#5 All_talk

All_talk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • Thorp (Ellensburg)

Posted 21 January 2005 - 03:26 PM

I doctored it up in Photoshop :D (if you look close you'll see the fonts dont match). I gleaned the data from a few threads a while back when I was looking for the best combo of stock components. If anybody has corrections or additions let me know.

BTW, I think that best stock combo (for on road) is the RX struts with XT6 front springs and 4WD wagon rear springs cut down to match the front ride hight. Should end up with about a 11% stiffer springs which the RX struts will handle just fine and about a 2" drop in ride hight. I was thinking that you should also add both front and rear 20mm XT6 sway bars, but given the RX's propensity to under steer I think adding only the 20mm rear bar and leaving the 18mm front would be best. I havent tested this combo so its just spec at this point.

Gary

P.S. How often do you get to use the word propensity. :lol:

#6 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:18 PM

there are NO real rear RX struts left.

that all supercede to that weak rump roast strut.

#7 Marck

Marck

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nipomo

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:50 PM

...dont exist anymore.

the REAL RX number supercedes to a number...that fits everything else and its WEAK AS HELL.

So....im working on a solution...as I seriously need some REAL RX units.

Oh ****, I was going to send you a PM today about ordering the rear RX struts for me from Japan. Are you absolutely sure there are no RX struts for the rear left? Now what?

My rear struts are so bad, that my rear wheels rub on hard fast cornering and when going fast on dips.

#8 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 05:13 PM

Oh ****, I was going to send you a PM today about ordering the rear RX struts for me from Japan. Are you absolutely sure there are no RX struts for the rear left? Now what?

My rear struts are so bad, that my rear wheels rub on hard fast cornering and when going fast on dips.

they all supercede to this **** number i have.

im going to find something thats close to it tho...

#9 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:07 PM

will here is what I've been thinking about, the top of the strut bolts thru the mount right? just find a shock that matches the bottom and the top, and you're set.

#10 gravelRX

gravelRX

Driven with both feet.

• Members
  • 885 posts
  • Roanoke, VA

Posted 22 January 2005 - 09:29 AM

Alltalk stated:

BTW, I think that best stock combo (for on road) is the RX struts with XT6 front springs and 4WD wagon rear springs cut down to match the front ride hight. Should end up with about a 11% stiffer springs which the RX struts will handle just fine and about a 2" drop in ride hight. I was thinking that you should also add both front and rear 20mm XT6 sway bars, but given the RX's propensity to under steer I think adding only the 20mm rear bar and leaving the 18mm front would be best.

This is how my RX is done. I have the factory front swaybar, XT6 struts/springs in front with the XT6 rear swaybar, rear turbowagon springs in the rear cut down for ride height. About 3"s lower, but level front to back. GR2s too.

No understeer whatsoever. Under trailbraking, car rotates at will, and is very neutral. 205/50/15's.
It will hang out the rear if you force it, but I've learned to keep it up in the RPM's so it has the rump roast to pull itself back straight when I want it too.
I kinda miss the "stab and jab" throttle response of the webered EA81, but the turbo is cause to hone the left foot braking to keep the rpm's up when braking.

Jay

#11 critical_max

critical_max

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Eugene, Oregon

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:01 PM

I know this is a Frankenthread, but I just asked my local dealer the other day about this.

Kendall Subaru in Eugene, OR can get RX struts, all four corners. Yes, I made sure it was a unique P/N. ;)

So maybe they are not all gone?

BTW, I ordered a cap/rotor from the same dealer, also specific to this year of RX ?!. It arrived in the original 1986 boxes. fun stuff. Looks like "new old stock" for you collectors.

#12 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:35 PM

get the PN from them. I went over this 100000 times and still, its just a regular non RX strut.

#13 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:47 PM

For the record. The RX,GL, etc do not have a rear strut. They have rear coil overs. This is a mute point but the shock is available in many aftermarket forms. The problem is going to be that the dampening rate will be the standard or a split between the two. I would guess that the KYB's would have the best dampening. The biggest thing to help rear handling will be new springs. I have a local spring shop that should be able to make them. I am going to see if they can make lowering and raising springs with the correct rates.

#14 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:53 PM

yeah well....they are all dampers......thats undisputable. :-p

#15 subyrally

subyrally

Trust your Turbo-Lust

• Members
  • 2,888 posts
  • frederick, md

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:11 PM

hmmm, this cold be usefull, i wanna know the part #'s as well.

#16 Marck

Marck

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nipomo

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:28 AM

I am still interested in genuine RX rear struts or equivalent. Keep me updated on this.

#17 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:38 AM

Do RX's have a different suspension than the others? I'm just asking because I have never had the luxury to see an RX in person. If it had the same setup as a GL-10, KYB makes both front and rear replacements(I saw them on good ol' eBaymotors). If I remember right, they were about $15-20 more than the average replacement strut(Gabriel) around here.

man, seperation of church and internet should be implemented!_!

:headbang: thats the devil sign his hands are making, not the i love you sign...

#18 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:48 AM

The PN for KYB GR2s to fit the rear of a GL (*with* the RX's 3 adjustment levels) is 341 053.

#19 erik litchy

erik litchy

Leadfoot

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • Peoria IL

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:39 AM

why dont i see that listed on kyb's website

The PN for KYB GR2s to fit the rear of a GL (*with* the RX's 3 adjustment levels) is 341 053.

#20 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:58 PM

don't know but they're on this one: http://www.coximport.com/kyb/s.html at a good price too. picture doesn't match FYI.

#21 Marck

Marck

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nipomo

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:55 PM

Is this for RX 3 door coupe or RX 4 door sedan?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users