Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX Rear Struts...

WJM

Do RX's have a different suspension than the others? I'm just asking because I have never had the luxury to see an RX in person. If it had the same setup as a GL-10, KYB makes both front and rear replacements(I saw them on good ol' eBaymotors). If I remember right, they were about $15-20 more than the average replacement strut(Gabriel) around here.

I doctored it up in Photoshop :D (if you look close you'll see the fonts dont match). I gleaned the data from a few threads a while back when I was looking for the best combo of stock components. If anybody has corrections or additions let me know.

BTW, I think that best stock combo (for on road) is the RX struts with XT6 front springs and 4WD wagon rear springs cut down to match the front ride hight. Should end up with about a 11% stiffer springs which the RX struts will handle just fine and about a 2" drop in ride hight. I was thinking that you should also add both front and rear 20mm XT6 sway bars, but given the RX's propensity to under steer I think adding only the 20mm rear bar and leaving the 18mm front would be best. I havent tested this combo so its just spec at this point.

Gary

P.S. How often do you get to use the word propensity. :lol:

...dont exist anymore.

the REAL RX number supercedes to a number...that fits everything else and its WEAK AS HELL.

So....im working on a solution...as I seriously need some REAL RX units.

Oh ****, I was going to send you a PM today about ordering the rear RX struts for me from Japan. Are you absolutely sure there are no RX struts for the rear left? Now what?

My rear struts are so bad, that my rear wheels rub on hard fast cornering and when going fast on dips.

Oh ****, I was going to send you a PM today about ordering the rear RX struts for me from Japan. Are you absolutely sure there are no RX struts for the rear left? Now what?

My rear struts are so bad, that my rear wheels rub on hard fast cornering and when going fast on dips.

they all supercede to this **** number i have.

im going to find something thats close to it tho...

Alltalk stated:

BTW, I think that best stock combo (for on road) is the RX struts with XT6 front springs and 4WD wagon rear springs cut down to match the front ride hight. Should end up with about a 11% stiffer springs which the RX struts will handle just fine and about a 2" drop in ride hight. I was thinking that you should also add both front and rear 20mm XT6 sway bars, but given the RX's propensity to under steer I think adding only the 20mm rear bar and leaving the 18mm front would be best.
This is how my RX is done. I have the factory front swaybar, XT6 struts/springs in front with the XT6 rear swaybar, rear turbowagon springs in the rear cut down for ride height. About 3"s lower, but level front to back. GR2s too.

No understeer whatsoever. Under trailbraking, car rotates at will, and is very neutral. 205/50/15's.

It will hang out the rear if you force it, but I've learned to keep it up in the RPM's so it has the rump roast to pull itself back straight when I want it too.

I kinda miss the "stab and jab" throttle response of the webered EA81, but the turbo is cause to hone the left foot braking to keep the rpm's up when braking.

Jay

• 2 months later...

I know this is a Frankenthread, but I just asked my local dealer the other day about this.

Kendall Subaru in Eugene, OR can get RX struts, all four corners. Yes, I made sure it was a unique P/N. ;)

So maybe they are not all gone?

BTW, I ordered a cap/rotor from the same dealer, also specific to this year of RX ?!. It arrived in the original 1986 boxes. fun stuff. Looks like "new old stock" for you collectors.

For the record. The RX,GL, etc do not have a rear strut. They have rear coil overs. This is a mute point but the shock is available in many aftermarket forms. The problem is going to be that the dampening rate will be the standard or a split between the two. I would guess that the KYB's would have the best dampening. The biggest thing to help rear handling will be new springs. I have a local spring shop that should be able to make them. I am going to see if they can make lowering and raising springs with the correct rates.

Do RX's have a different suspension than the others? I'm just asking because I have never had the luxury to see an RX in person. If it had the same setup as a GL-10, KYB makes both front and rear replacements(I saw them on good ol' eBaymotors). If I remember right, they were about $15-20 more than the average replacement strut(Gabriel) around here.

man, seperation of church and internet should be implemented!_!

:headbang: thats the devil sign his hands are making, not the i love you sign...