Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HillbillyLes' "after" damage repair pics posted

For any interested, I have posted a few pics of my Soob after the repairs have been done to the hatch and rear bumper area.

Click HERE to see my photo gallery.

As it turns out, they didn't have the proper tool on the frame machine and tore some of the sheetmetal pulling so they had to replace the center section of the sheetmetal with new and then undercoat it.

It actually turned out pretty good and has no leaks, runs, or errors. You'd have to inspect it pretty closely to even tell it had been bruised. The hatch shuts like new, and I even have a new WORKING speedometer, though it is from the 92 and has a light that comes on when the hatch isn't locked.....pretty annoying since I rarely lock it....It may be D/C'd soon, though. I also got the shop to re-clear coat the right rear quarter where gasoline spills had cracked the original clear coat.

I guess I might oughta' think about selling it now before I do something else to it.....:banghead: Maybe it's time for that "SVX project" I've been thinking of...If I could only find one within a days driving distance, Hmmm.:-\

HbL

Oh, I'm not giving up, I've had it for about 4 years, I just have put a lot into it and since it's straight with no rust and in very good condition I'd almost be better of selling it and starting with somethin' new.

But as long as I have it, though, it will continue to be a project.

It's my daily driver and at >500 miles a week to work and back it has been as reliable as I could want and much more so than I expected when I got it.

My ONLY REAL issue with it has ever been HORSEPOWER. It does fine for <100 HP and the Weber really made a difference, but I'd really like to have about 140 HP or more.....can't help it. It's in my blood. My last driver was an 89 5.0 Mustang coupe that had been warmed over and would clear the 1/4 mile in under 12 seconds (in street trim) and return 27 mpg on the highway and was as reliable as the Soob. (For some reason, though, it didn't do quite as well off road or in the snow...or rain.....as the Soob) I DO miss the power! If the wagon had 200 HP:slobber: and remaned as reliable as it has been, I believe it would be nearly the perfect car. Yeah, I know, "If pigs had wings....."

Later,

HbL

My ONLY REAL issue with it has ever been HORSEPOWER. It does fine for <100 HP and the Weber really made a difference, but I'd really like to have about 140 HP or more.....can't help it.

Later,

HbL

Nice looking ru, good decision to keep it you made.

Power? WJM's ea82t puts out some good #'s

Swap a turbo in there, my ru moves 29's on steels pretty good, I'm probly closing in on 160hp. It's alot of work to swap it over but if you really want to it won't cost much, other than time.

Mo power.....

I have a lead on a boneyard RX that is supposedly drivable. It has (I guess standard for the RX?) locking front diff, L/S rear diff, turbo, 5-speed, etc.

The perfect swap to give my wagon about the only things it's missing....All 4 wheels powered PRN (as needed) and MO POWER. I'm waiting on some pics of the RX and to see what comes of my efforts to sell my wagon as she is before investing MORE.

If I don't/can't sell for a reasonable amount and the RX thing works out I may just do the swap....I'll still have to find a daily driver to substitute while designing and building the "Superu" wagon.

So I'm undecided at this point....

the RX is a few states away and quite a drive, even if it is drivable. So the whole deal will be quite another investment in time, money and efforts.

Just dunno, yet, till all the facts are in.

Anyway, y'all, thanks for the compliments and input.:banana:

HbL

that's a sweet looking wagon. bet you're glad you kept it after the Incident.. I remember you advertised it for sale...

it's good looking EA82 wagons like yours and Tex's that make me want (need :P ) to lift mine... you should consider the EJ22 swap. the more of us that do it, the easier it will get due to accumulation of info. the adapter plate is probably the biggest thing discouraging people bur they are not hard to make. and your car already has a 5 speed in it.. you could hook it up to that RX transmission (unless you want the standard dual range super-low ratio) you just found... and you could sell the LSD in that RX to start paying for the swap!