Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbie looking for advice '03 Outback VDC Sedan

Hi everybody! This is my first post here, and boy do I wish I found this site earlier. I just recently purchased a 2003 VDC Outback Sedan with 13.5k miles. I also purchased a couple warranty plans. I bought the Gold plus plan and the lifetime oil change plan. After reading a few posts here, I think I will definitely cancel my gold plus plan. I paid an outrageous amount for it (almost $3000). What does everyone else think. Is it worth it? Also, it seems I am approaching the 15k mark. Did anyone else bring their cars in to the dealership for the 15k mile service? Does anyone also know if their have been any recalls for my car? Thanks!

A warranty plan is an expensive insurance policy ... period. Put that amount into savings each month. If something breaks, you'll have the money put by, if not ... you'll have the money.

Do ALL the suggested maintenance, just maybe not by a dealer, keep good records if there are any SOA warranty claims.

Go to the SOA site and register yourself as the new owner of the car, you'll be notified re: any TSBs, you can also keep your records there.

Enjoy the car.

Thanks for the replies. I did already sign up at my.subaru.com, but they emailed me back saying they couldn't verify I was the owner. So I faxed them proof of insurance, but unfortunately I am still stuck with a basic site which is why I can't see if I have any recalls. I have been too lazy to hassle for the preferred site when I feel I have already done all I should. As for the warranty, it covers mechanical repairs like struts, headgasket, transmission problems, etc. It also covers radio repairs. I thought it was a good idea to get at the time, but after reading how people got the same plan for under $1000, I think I spent too much for it. Besides, how many people put in $3000 of repair in their first 80k miles?

I agree that you should cancel the plan. You should be able to get a lot better deal from your insurance company if you want to get another one.

That's a really nice Soob you started with. Hope you enjoy it for a long time.

Thanks Cougar! I cancelled the plan yesterday and automatically he asked me if I wanted to keep it for $1600 instead of $3000. I still declined. I saw somebody selling the gold plus subaru plan for 7yrs/100k miles for about $900. Would I still qualify for this even though I canceled my original plan? On another note, I do like my car a lot, but am paranoid about everything since it's my first car that I bought myself. I'm still trying to figure out where to bring it in for it's 15,000 mile service. I'll call the dealer first to ask the price, but I'm sure it's marked up very high.

Anyways, glad I found this board! You guys ROCK!

I would try calling your insurance company and see what they have to offer you for an extended warranty plan. The Subaru Gold plan price seems pretty fair if things are on the level. You would have to ask them about the details of starting the plan with a used vehicle.

As far as scheduled service, I would keep taking the vehicle in for the service at place that is recognized by Subaru and the techs are factory trained so there is no question about the service done. Keep all the records and receipts, especially for the oil changes.